my hope is that some of you smart folks can help me identify this. I really don't know what I've got here. two band blackpowder.
it's smoothbore near as I can tell ( no obvious rifling near the muzzle) bore appears to be about.58, no gauge marks readily visible and I'm reluctant to try and clean it. On the lock there is a crown with a downwards facing arrow under it, no date or any other markings. On the edge of the lock at the top by the nipple I can read what I think is 58 on the lock,or possibly 82 (don't know which is up). on the left side of the barrel are the marks V over a P (possibly an F) and below both is an "X" but with a third horizontal stroke making sort of an asterisk.
the Top of the brass butt plate is clearly marked US and the 2 barrel bands both have a U on them. The compartment under the brass door on the buttstock has obvious wood auger marks and is not finished particularly well. the stock is split/repaired right in front of the lock and has been repaired with what appear to be very small square headed nails. one has also been used to replace(?) a pin on the lock.
it's smoothbore near as I can tell ( no obvious rifling near the muzzle) bore appears to be about.58, no gauge marks readily visible and I'm reluctant to try and clean it. On the lock there is a crown with a downwards facing arrow under it, no date or any other markings. On the edge of the lock at the top by the nipple I can read what I think is 58 on the lock,or possibly 82 (don't know which is up). on the left side of the barrel are the marks V over a P (possibly an F) and below both is an "X" but with a third horizontal stroke making sort of an asterisk.
the Top of the brass butt plate is clearly marked US and the 2 barrel bands both have a U on them. The compartment under the brass door on the buttstock has obvious wood auger marks and is not finished particularly well. the stock is split/repaired right in front of the lock and has been repaired with what appear to be very small square headed nails. one has also been used to replace(?) a pin on the lock.
Last edited by a moderator:


















































