mixing powder question

kgs

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Prince George
After filling my powder flask up with some triple 7 fff3 I mistakenly grabbed a can of unused triple 7 ff2 and poured in about 300 grains in to it. Now I do not plan to use this unless it is safe to do so and I have already purchased a new can of T7 ff2 in case I choose not to use it. My question is about mixing powders. Is mixing T7 powder safe, based on the small amount powder 300grs in to 7000grs or should I dispose of it. I only ask because I hate to waste powder. I am aware of the very real danger here. Any advice is appreciated.

I have about 5 years of experience shooting black powder revolvers and have used only one powder T7 fff3. I have recently purchased my first 50 cal inline break open traditions rifle.
 
Use it up at the range and load just slightly on the conservative side. Accuracy may be a little less than perfect, but I don't see any safety hazard.
 
I don't see a problem from mixing them. Triple 7 does produce higher pressures but also can't see much benefit in the long run. It's expensive compared to Pyrodex P or RS. I suppose it is cleaner burning if that's why people buy it.
 
My only experience with shooting Triple 7 is with .45 LC cartridges.
I followed directions, loaded leaving no airspace, compressed only lightly, but shot only a few.
I experienced heavy recoil in a rifle, compared to Unique smokeless loads, which really spooked me.
So, I pulled all of the charges, and ended that experiment.
Triple 7 is powerful stuff, and in retrospect, I should have used lesser charges and hard cardboard wads to take up the space.

But, muzzleloaders are a different animal, so I saved the Triple 7 to be used up for that.

I agree with the advice already given.
Maybe try the 10% reduced loads at first to see if you notice any significant difference.
 
My only experience with shooting Triple 7 is with .45 LC cartridges.
I followed directions, loaded leaving no airspace, compressed only lightly, but shot only a few.
I experienced heavy recoil in a rifle, compared to Unique smokeless loads, which really spooked me.
So, I pulled all of the charges, and ended that experiment.
Triple 7 is powerful stuff, and in retrospect, I should have used lesser charges and hard cardboard wads to take up the space.

But, muzzleloaders are a different animal, so I saved the Triple 7 to be used up for that.

I agree with the advice already given.
Maybe try the 10% reduced loads at first to see if you notice any significant difference.

Full black powder loads in .45 Colt are far from the mouse fart loads typically expected due to cowboy action folks loading down their ammo. A full pop .45Colt is a healthy round! ! ! ! So I'm not surprised at what you found. Also consider that 777 is roughly 15% more powerful than black or Pyrodex. Thus the instructions to load down by that much. SO your loads were slightly OVER what a black powder or Pyrodex load would be to boot.
 
I have a buddy who is a bit ..ahem... frugal. He will take whatever T7 you will give him. Old, leftover, 2or 3F, whatever. All goes in the same can. Sights his gun in yearly. Shoots the biggest buck in camp every year for the last 10.

Can You see the difference LOL. Shoot it as usual within proper load range and it will be fine.
 
Mmmm; mixing powders is a really, really bad practice and should be avoided like using a public Glaswegian toilet.

007eb8ab56dedad7d14e40238f8e7710.jpg


This time, it's not an issue; but with a "devil may care" attitude...bad things will invariably happen sooner or later. (I appreciate the OP did care to ask, it's the responses and overtones I'm concerned with.)
 
I have finally had a chance to shoot my 50 cal BPR. Started at 80grs and worked up to 100grs had absolutely no issues with the powder. The smoke that is produced is way more than I expected compared to my revolver. LOL
 
Shooting traditions 250gr sabots groups ranged over all at 2.5 inch to 2 inch. still have other bullets to try. range was 100 yards.
 
Turn it down to about 80grns and you may see a difference on the flyers

Yep - In pretty well every M/L I've ever owned (well over 30) in some 40 years, I have always found that stiff powder loads gave me less accuracy. Midrange loads always gave me the best accuracy - and any critter you hit properly will never know the difference. My favourite smokepole was a 45 cal. CVA Kentucky rifle. With 22 gr. 3f and a roundball, I could consistently knock grouse's heads off to about 60 feet, and with 70 gr. of 3f behind a 250 gr. Maxi ball, I could easily group 3"-4" at 100 offhand. Doesn't sound impressive, until you try it with open sights. The length of the gun really helped.
 
Holy Crap Bat Man! What are you shooting ahead of 100gn FFF BP in a 50? Was it worth it? Did it group worth beans?

M

I shoot 50 cal round balls over 100grn FFFG in my Lyman Plains rifle that I purchased new 40 years ago. That is my go to hunting load for WhiteTails and Mule Deer out to 200yds. It does a fine job on Black Bear as well. Yes, it's stout. Yes there is a lot of felt recoil but that combination certainly gets the job done when and where it needs doing. Also gives a reasonably flat trajectory. I use 80 grns of FFFG under 500 grn Maxis with good results on larger game. If the rifle is strong enough I don't see any reason not to use such loads on big game.

I certainly don't recommend it for plinking gophers or marmots or punching holes in paper for fun. But for serious working loads the heavier the better. I have recovered round balls on deer taken over 150yds. I have never recovered a Maxi from any animal, including Moose. Even at 100+ yards that massive hunk of lead just keep right on traveling after a through and through hit.
 
Back
Top Bottom