1883 reichsrevolver unit marks

wbaad

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Location
Yorkton, Sask
Hi all,
Picked up this beautiful 1894 made reichsrevolver and learning a bit about its history. I would like to learn what the unit marks descipher into and the time period they were applied. This gun got around a bit since it has 3 marks in total.
First: 5.R.A.1.63
Second:5.A.10.120
Third:41.A.4.184

Would like to find out more about who this gun would have been issued to.






 
Last edited:
wbaad, PM "Nabs", he's a real wealth of information when it comes to pre-WWII German unit markings. I bet he will steer you in the right direction.

Beautiful revolver btw, I've been wanting one myself, but I'm limiting myself to Swiss 1882's and Webley's for now.
 
Your Revolver was issued to Field artillery units
5.R.A.1.63: Reservefeldartillerieregiment Nr 5, 1.Batterie, 63.Waffe
5.A.10.120: Feldartillerieregiment Nr. 5, 10. Batterie, 120. Waffe
41.A.4.184: Feldartillerieregiment Nr. 41, 4. Batterie, 184. Waffe
Those were all Prussian units.
 
Your Revolver was issued to Field artillery units
5.R.A.1.63: Reservefeldartillerieregiment Nr 5, 1.Batterie, 63.Waffe
5.A.10.120: Feldartillerieregiment Nr. 5, 10. Batterie, 120. Waffe
41.A.4.184: Feldartillerieregiment Nr. 41, 4. Batterie, 184. Waffe
Those were all Prussian units.

Thanks for the info!
 
I sent your photos and questions to a very knowledgeable fellow in Virginia----same response.

5th Reserve Artillery Regiment 1st Battery, weapon 63
5th Artillery Regiment, 10th Battery, weapon 120
41st Artillery Regiment, 4th Battery, weapon 184

They're all Field Artillery Regiments.
 
Possibly in the local unit, though over 100 years later those records are long gone (especially after WWII where everything got burned). Another thing to consider is literacy was pretty low back then, that can also play a part.
 
Back
Top Bottom