Stuck Ball in .54 TC Renegage

fonestar

Regular
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Location
Whitehorse, YT
Was at the range trying to find a good load for Triple 7 FFFG PRB in my (new to me) Renegade .54.

On about the 4th shot I forgot to put a charge in before the patched ball. So far I've had no luck removing the ball using the ball puller, it's in there real good.

I've noticed there's a small flat head screw to the left of the lock, on the top of the barrel (looking down at the rifle). I haven't tried taking this screw out yet.

Can I remove the screw and put a few grains of FFFG in there and try to shoot the ball out?
 
I'm not sure about the screw, but if you can find one of the CO2...um...things...that fit over the nipple it'll blow the ball right out. Aim at something safe as it really flies out of there.

This thing here--

ht tp://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Shooting/Black-Powder/Black-Powder-Accessories%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/Cabelas-CO2-Load-Discharger/4225.uts
 
Pull the nipple, add a few grains of powder, reseat nipple, shoot it out. Make sure ball is fully down first.

This is the way to go. Best if you can find real bp in 3r or 4f. Just keep adding and tapping the side of the gun until it stops taking more. Don't strip the threads and tighen the nipple again after the shot.
Works like a charm.
 
FFFg is too fine for a .54cal. Especially the highly energetic Triple 7 sub.

As for dry-balling, as it is called, there are two kinds of muzzleloaders - those like you, who bravely admit that they've done it.

And liars. :)

tac
 
FFFg is too fine for a .54cal. Especially the highly energetic Triple 7 sub.

As for dry-balling, as it is called, there are two kinds of muzzleloaders - those like you, who bravely admit that they've done it.

And liars. :)

tac


Good to know.... I noticed it's not shooting as nice groups as when I was using 65 grs of Pyrodex FFG. I was doing "oh kay" with 55 gr of FFFG Triple 7.

Looks like my nipple tool was made only for #11 caps, too small for the musket nipple. Didn't have time on lunch to unscrew the other smaller screw near the lock. I guess that is my last remaining option without finding the proper nipple tool.
 
FFFg is too fine for a .54cal. Especially the highly energetic Triple 7 sub.

As for dry-balling, as it is called, there are two kinds of muzzleloaders - those like you, who bravely admit that they've done it.

And liars. :)

tac

I run 70 grains of 3F black powder as a main charge and flash pan in my .54 flintlock. As for getting you ball out. Pull the nipple out, put in a few grains of powder. Put the nipple back in, ram the ball home again and shoot it out. Hope that helps.
 
Looks like my nipple tool was made only for #11 caps, too small for the musket nipple. Didn't have time on lunch to unscrew the other smaller screw near the lock. I guess that is my last remaining option without finding the proper nipple tool.

Going through the clean out screw should work fine too but be careful not too bugger or break it. For some reason they seldom seem easy to get out. Probably don't get touched on a regular basis.
 
Been there done that. Ram the ball home, poke some fine powder under the nipple and light her up.

Just DON'T do it in your basement like I did:rolleyes:

BTB - Gun screws tend to be a tad soft for some unknown reason. I replace those nipple bolster clean out screws with hex head cap screws. I keep a suitable Allen key in my possibles bag. Never have to sweat removing it if I have to.

M
 
Last edited:
Good to know.... I noticed it's not shooting as nice groups as when I was using 65 grs of Pyrodex FFG. I was doing "oh kay" with 55 gr of FFFG Triple 7.

Looks like my nipple tool was made only for #11 caps, too small for the musket nipple. Didn't have time on lunch to unscrew the other smaller screw near the lock. I guess that is my last remaining option without finding the proper nipple tool.

An 11mm socket will work on Musket nipples
 
It's interesting that it uses a musket nipple since Renegades came with a factory nipple which uses #11 caps. Someone replaced it in the hopes of getting more reliable ignition from "hotter caps". (Not necessary with BP)

The powder chamber inside the patent breech, which acts as the breech plug, is smaller in diameter than the ball. So, enough space for at least a portion of the powder charge exists there, no matter if you bottom out the patched ball against the end of the patent breech. So, dribbling in 3F BP through the nipple hole will provide enough powder to easily drive out the ball. The only concern is that the powder chamber area be full, such that no airspace exists between the ball and the charge.
 
It really does not take much fffg to get the job done-I think it is perhaps only 2 or 3 grains is what I've seen (not that I would ever need to do this) and the ball still comes out with a good velocity. With this small a charge you should not worry too much about a gap between ball and powder although it should be close.
 
It really does not take much fffg to get the job done.

Oh Ya, and she will come out of there with pretty good authority to. Do this at the range only:redface:

The other thing I'll mention is... don't ever leave a cleaning patch in the bottom of the bbl. RSO still puts a fire extinguisher beside my bench when I show up with my Hawken:rolleyes:

M
 
Try a 12 point socket of appropriate size on the nipple, assuming it has 4 flats on it and not 2. As others have said, pull the nipple and dribble some powder in the hole and replace the nipple. It does work and you'd be surprised at how little powder it will take. I too have loaded rounds without powder, and also double loaded 2 charges (powder/ball-powder/ball). Luckily I noticed the ram rod was sticking out too far before trying to fire it.
Jon
 
Been there done that. Ram the ball home, poke some fine powder under the nipple and light her up.

Just DON'T do it in your basement like I did:rolleyes:

BTB - Gun screws tend to be a tad soft for some unknown reason. I replace those nipple bolster clean out screws with hex head cap screws. I keep a suitable Allen key in my possibles bag. Never have to sweat removing it if I have to.

M

Oh Ya, and she will come out of there with pretty good authority to. Do this at the range only:redface:

The other thing I'll mention is... don't ever leave a cleaning patch in the bottom of the bbl. RSO still puts a fire extinguisher beside my bench when I show up with my Hawken:rolleyes:

M

You are either a riot to hang out with, or incredibly dangerous to hang out with. lol (Sounds like most of my friends, actually...)
 
Been there done that. Ram the ball home, poke some fine powder under the nipple and light her up.

Just DON'T do it in your basement like I did:rolleyes:

BTB - Gun screws tend to be a tad soft for some unknown reason. I replace those nipple bolster clean out screws with hex head cap screws. I keep a suitable Allen key in my possibles bag. Never have to sweat removing it if I have to.

M

Oh, I think that everybody needs to stink up their basement at least once with black powder smoke. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom