Storing and preserving antiques

Maybe Rust-Veto, sold by Brownell's. Smells like cosmoline (edited for 'autocorrected' spelling), advertised to do the same job...I've also heard good things about Fluid Film, but haven't used it for anything, myself.
 
Last edited:
It says that guide is for Antique arms that are never to be fired. I agree using nylon brushes is ideal but im not sure if they clean well enough and remove firing residue properly. Who uses nylon brushes for their antiques and who uses brass?
 
It says that guide is for Antique arms that are never to be fired. I agree using nylon brushes is ideal but im not sure if they clean well enough and remove firing residue properly. Who uses nylon brushes for their antiques and who uses brass?

It looks like he is specifically referring to #5. Coating Metals where he says:

"5. Coating Metals (this advice is strictly for guns which have been “retired” from use and will never be fired.)...Use a microcrystalline wax, such as Renaissance Waxx as a protective coating. Such waxes are practically inert, remaining stable for a very long time. Apply and buff out with a soft cloth or brush. I coat all parts this way - inside and out".

So he puts wax even in the bore of the gun, which would be a bad idea if you're going to shoot it.

The Otis gun cleaning kit doesn't even talk about using brushes in their instructions. Just a solvent and a swab that you pass down the bore.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others say about cleaning and preserving an antique gun bore that is fired now and then.
 
"The following are guidelines to help you care for a collection that will be preserved for as long as possible and will never be fired."

This is what i was referring to its the first sentence of the second paragraph.

Thats good info about just using a swab and solvent i will use that technique for my rarest/most delicate.

Wax in the bore would be good for long term storage but would need to be cleaned before use.

Thanks
 
I just did some research on various gun forums about cleaning the bores of firearms and there appear to be three camps: 1. Brass brush, 2. Nylon brush, and 3. No brush at all (cleaning fluid and swabs). I think it just makes sense to go with cleaning/protecting fluid (G96?) and swabs and a nylon bore brush if necessary on our prized antique firearms which were made with softer metals than modern firearms, especially if we only shoot them now and then. Maybe finish off with some Fluid Film for longer-term storage.
 
Just cleaned a 1892 lebel that i had fired 24 times using my handloads with traillboss. The gun got extrrmely dirty for only four full cylinders fired. I would need to take it apart to get it 100 percent clean, which i did, took about an hour. Some Carbon remained on the front of the cylinder.
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

I was wondering what you guys think the best way to store your antique revolvers and rifles is? My biggest concern is rust, I have not had any antiques rust in any way yet but I know it is possible. I have heard to keep guns wrapped in a cotton cloth, some say with oil some without. If you do this what oil have you had success with?

Is there an oil or product designed for long term storage that includes shooting once or twice a year? I use hopes lubricatiting oil and bore cleaner usually. Wondering if they are safe on antiques.

What about guns with chrome plating, or that are blued or with wood grips. Is there any special considerations?

Thanks
TNG

I have had good experience with WD40
 
WD40 is a moisture displacement product and solvent (WD40 = Water Displacement, formula #40). Not designed as a lubricant or protectorate, especially over the long term.
 
Storing & preserving ???. Shot them & enjoy them . I shot & reload my Mauser 1871 Cavalry carbine end enjoy every minute .

I have a somewhat irrational fear that if i put them away without cleaning theyre gonna turn to rust dust.
I still want to be able to shoot them in 30 years or longer. Im sure kids/ family would want them when im gone. Dont you want to keep them as nice looking as possible for as long as possible. Any damage i do to a gun bothers me immensely, so i take precautions to prevent any if possible.
 
Monitoring and properly cleaning after shooting are probably the biggest things. I just use ballistol or a good bore solvent on the barrel/cylinder and wipe everything down with a rag moistened with ballistol or hoppes oil. I give everything a light coat of fluid film (wiped on). I have some inexpensive desiccant tins you can bake to recharge that seem to work well that are stored with the guns. Do not store them with cloth/leather touching or store them in plastic!

If treated and stored with respect the guns will last indefinitely. Keep in mind some of these guns were neglected and well used for a long time, so likely will not turn to dust overnight.
 
Back
Top Bottom