Another Snider Question

NorthCoastBigBore

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Finally getting around to load for my Snider... checking off projects... just a simple question:

Rather than using fillers in this cavernous thing, has anybody here used a base plug to take up the space in the .577 case? I've seen mention of base plugs from different materials; and apparently the old Kynoch cases used a cardboard sleeve inside. I was thinking of turning some base plugs (not a sleeve) out of wood or plastic....

Experiences?

If it's crazy then I'll stick with a CoW/BP mix as a filler.
 
Never tried it.
My concern would be that the filler plug could come loose and be in the bore for a subsequent shot.
If case were being formed from brass 24ga shells, maybe the filler plug could be installed before the case was formed.
It is an interesting idea, and the concept has been used elsewhere. Just don't know how it would work in .577S.
 
Thank you, valid point.

My thinking was that the force of the charge would keep it back against the base. But there would be powder in the center of the column and I suppose it could be forced forward.

These are formed from 24 gauge brass unfortunately the shoulder is already there.
 
If case were being formed from brass 24ga shells, maybe the filler plug could be installed before the case was formed.
.

It sounds like you are describing more of a permanent sleeve or tube that remains in the case. If so I think that would be more at risk of staying in the barrel

cheers mooncoon
 
The Kynoch shells did in fact have a sleeve inside but in my experience no filler is needed. I'll admit it's been awhile since I've used black powder in the .577 as I've been using smokeless powder but either way, maybe try your intended load with no filler and see how it goes. You could also probably stick some cotton, or something similar over the powder, that might work too.
 
A friend tried the sleeve approach, found the load that worked, then had a dozen cases machined to match the load. Costly, but they last forever: walls are ~1/8"!
 
A friend tried the sleeve approach, found the load that worked, then had a dozen cases machined to match the load. Costly, but they last forever: walls are ~1/8"!

Nice! I'd thought of machining some with a thicker base but same idea, I like that thick wall idea. But the 24 gauge brass is so easy... :)

Yes I'm familiar with using fillers, I just wanted to try something different.
 
I've used CoW, cotton balls, and foam-backer rod in Snider loads. My best accuracy has been with CoW completely filling the space. Foam backer rod is the easiest, I find, as you can very rapidly cut equal lengths of the foam rod.

milsurpo
 
The US used cardboard sleeves in the .45-55-405 carbine loading.

Researchers at the Little Big Horn battle sight reported finding .45 carbine cases with the cardboard sleeves still in them.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/139/11/CASE-577-SNIDER

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/snider-brass-with-copper-sleeve-t5114.html

" In trials with the Snider and Mag-Tech brass, I found that a liner of freezer paper, I believe 8" long, and 3/4" wide, did the trick, and stayed in the case, But, when I pulled the paper out to wash the cases, I could see a gooey somewhat elastic film on the paper. " ( From )

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/britishmilitariaforums/paper-inserts-in-577-450-cases-t2887.html
 
Last edited:
Great reading thanks folks. I've been doing a lot of reading, interesting stuff.

Last night I loaded some just filling the space with a CoW/FFg mix - I must say it is a little daunting to watch a volume that fills up a 45-90 case, just disappear into the abyss of that massive case. I also turned down some PVC pipe to a tight fit and slid it in to try out, I had a couple cases that I inadvertently opened up to straight so I fit the PVC in before seating the ball. I'll watch after shooting to make sure nothing has flown out. I found that 55 grains filled up the PVC column perfectly, then a CoW/BP mix on top adding 15 grains of FFg, so a 70 grain charge under a round ball... I'll try them out hopefully Saturday if not sooner, depending on how everything goes.
 
Back
Top Bottom