are antique shotguns exempt from barrel length?

Norbert77

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Very SW Ontario
I have a book coming out in which a character has a shortened SxS to do his deeds with, I would like to pick up an old SxS for a photo on the cover. Is that possible? Can the barrel legally be cut off and make it pistol sized?
 
The way I understand it is, if it is a popular gauge shotgun, ie; 12, 20, 410, it wouldn't be considered an antique anyway. I think that the existing law says it can't be shorter than around 18 1/2", if I remember correctly. I did look into it once, when I cut down a double barrel shotgun but, that was a long time ago. I'm sure someone will correct me, if I'm wrong.
 
To make it antique it cant be chambered in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 or 410. And has to be made before 1896.

But a muzzle loader shotgun just has to be older then 1896. So you could use a sxs 12 that is percussion cap.

But why ruin something that has survived 120 years.
 
Even if it is antique, you can't cut the barrel down. If you do, it's prohibited.

BUT if it is an antique and was originally made with a super-short barrel, then it's not prohib based on barrel length.
 
Back
Top Bottom