Real or repro???

peigunguy

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Location
PEI
6FFFCB01-ED6E-41EC-A39D-C97F66D76115.jpgCE0B1AB8-016A-4571-B716-240209312ADB.jpgB63A2185-00F5-46C8-8C02-EC425475C946.jpgView attachment 133400View attachment 133401my friend has a chance to get this pistol...flintlock TOWER markings....any way to tell if its real or not...has a bunch of proof marks....but its hard to say....anyone know of a surefire way to tell?
 

Attachments

  • 6FFFCB01-ED6E-41EC-A39D-C97F66D76115.jpg
    6FFFCB01-ED6E-41EC-A39D-C97F66D76115.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 420
  • CE0B1AB8-016A-4571-B716-240209312ADB.jpg
    CE0B1AB8-016A-4571-B716-240209312ADB.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 419
  • B63A2185-00F5-46C8-8C02-EC425475C946.jpg
    B63A2185-00F5-46C8-8C02-EC425475C946.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
I hope that I might be forgiven for opining that that is a mighty strange piece of wood for an original, and also that the colouration appears to have been wiped off around the surface level with the lock plate.

tac
 
I am going to tentatively go with original and perhaps some screws replaced. Closeups of the lock plate and the proof marks would be very helpful. Stock may have had a light sanding some time ago. I think the light colour that Tac refers to might be just lighting effects

cheers mooncoon
 
I am going to tentatively go with original and perhaps some screws replaced. Closeups of the lock plate and the proof marks would be very helpful. Stock may have had a light sanding some time ago. I think the light colour that Tac refers to might be just lighting effects

cheers mooncoon

I would tend to agree. Original that has underwent refurb IMHO
 
I am no expert but I highly question a real anything that very old and in like new condition.

The others are probably right about it being real but refurbished.
 
I have a Wilkinson flint shotgun finished September 1822 in better condition, and a Cogswell & Harrison percussion that is darn near new. Age does not mean that condition necessarily suffers.
003.jpg005.jpg
036.jpg

There is something about the pistol that isn't quite right. I don't know if there was a Tower pistol with a belt hook like that. I think it might be made up.
 

Attachments

  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 304
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 303
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 301
The 3rd pic of your Sea Service Pistol is the store keepers stamp , the stock is original but looks like it has been cleaned. Is it possible to take the lock off and see the inside. A close up of the lock plate with the Kings Cypher . Left side of the barrel should have proof marks.
 
Last edited:
Have to watch it , loyalist also has made reproduction stampings. However to me it looks original though I also agree it’s been refurbished, looks like a Navy to me. I used to play with an original one as a child... poor thing I used it hard, but old Bob who’s collection it was in told my father one day after I’d dropped it,not to worry that’s what it was built for.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom