Peep Sight for Traditions cap lock Hawken

gnmontey

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Location
AB
Can anyone suggest a peep sight I can mount on my Traditions cap lock Hawken? The tang is too short to mount a tang sight.

M
 
Brownells has Williams peeps. About $40.00 us Got one for my deerstalker

As in Lyman Deerstalker? How does it mount? Can you provide me a link to the sight you use? When I searched Brownells for Williams sights I got 300 results returned..yikes!!

Thanks,

M
 
Any ways.. Can't hook the link up.. Search under Williams WGRS it's in rear sights.. They use to have them all in one column now broke up and spread around.. Your right there is a alot of peeps
 
Any ways.. Can't hook the link up.. Search under Williams WGRS it's in rear sights.. They use to have them all in one column now broke up and spread around.. Your right there is a alot of peeps

Hmmmm.... not seeing anything that is going to work. I assume your son's CVA has a round bbl? My Hawken is octagonal and the rear sight is almost 2/3 from the muzzle end of the bbl, no where near the breach. Screwed on, not dove tailed as far as I can tell. Where abouts is the peep on the CV mounted? I can't picture a peep mounted 1/3 the way down the bbl working very well?

M
 
Last edited:
Not finding any options for this. Who is running a peep on their cap lock? Where is your peep installed, tang or bbl (and where on the bbl)?

Aging eyes are demanding a sight change.

M
 
Last edited:
Not finding any options for this. Who is running a peep on their cap lock? Where is your peep installed, tang or bbl (and where on the bbl)?

Aging eyes are demanding a sight change.

M

Don't know if this is of any help to you but I use the Lyman 57 SLM receiver sight & a Lyman 17EU Front sight on my Safari Arms / Investarm Hawken rifle. Receiver sight mounted on tang.
Don
 
Would mounting a red dot on a cap lock invoke the wrath of the BP Gods?

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to put on this gun. Can't find a peep that looks like it would work.

M
 
Last edited:
I've had excellent results with the Lyman 57 tang-mounted sight mentioned above. Mounting it on anything other than a Lyman/Investarms gun would require drilling/tapping the tang. TC also offered a similar sight, but it was much smaller, simpler and less bulky.

The last time I looked at a Pedersoli catalog they showed a wide range of assorted rear sights, both barrel-mounted and otherwise. As long as you are willing to do a bit of tinkering and Bubba-ing, there is almost certainly something in there that you can use.
 
Would mounting a red dot on a cap lock invoke the wrath of the BP Gods?

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to put on this gun. Can't find a peep that looks like it would work.

M

Track of the Wolf does sell a Lyman 57 sight that does mount on the tang. The 57 is from my experience a receiver sight but this one is not it is #RS-57-SML and looks to me like it would mount easily on even a short tang. Of course it always looks easier than it turns out to be.;)
h t t p s://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/883/1"]https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/883/1

u got to take the spaces out of h t t p s and paste in your browser.
 
That sight ^ is the same unit as the other receiver-mounted 57's; the only difference is the mounting base, which screws to the tang on a muzzleloader but extends down and to the side, allowing the use of the same screw-adjustable sight unit. They're bulky and ugly, but they work like a charm.
 
That sight ^ is the same unit as the other receiver-mounted 57's; the only difference is the mounting base, which screws to the tang on a muzzleloader but extends down and to the side, allowing the use of the same screw-adjustable sight unit. They're bulky and ugly, but they work like a charm.

I have a couple of those 57 sights, likely for the same reason that you want one. It has gotten so that the open sights mounted up on the barrel don't focus properly anymore. With a peep sight mounted back closer to the eye there is no focusing on the rear sight, it literally disappears and becomes just a circle that you almost naturally center the bead in.
My eye sight is excellent except the first 16" from my face. Peeps work for me. I figure when I get even older I might require a scope. Oh well....
 
Here is what I'm up against.

1.JPG

Is that model 57 sight going to work?

Thanks,

M
 

Attachments

  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 50
Okay, you do have a problem. I just rough-measured my Deerstalker; it's about 3.75 inches from the rear of the tang to the front of the breech plug (where it abuts the rear of the barrel) and the 57 sight sits right at the back of the tang. The mounting length on the 57 sight is almost 1.5 inches, which is the entire length of your tang. Even if you drilled/tapped your tang, the angle would be wrong. The 57 sight is angled to sit above the wrist of the Lyman rifles, whereas your tang appears to be parallel with the bore so the sight would be leaning forward.

I have seen a few rifles without a tang, but with a tang-type sight screwed to the wood of the pistol grip in the appropriate location. Far from ideal, but let's face it: this is not a long-range ultra-accurate gun. For the distances at which you will be shooting, this might be worth considering.

The other suggestion I have is to find an aperture sight that can be mounted in the existing dovetail on your barrel. Skinner sights makes one for the 10/22 which I have adapted for use in this way, and I have seen a couple of folding Williams sights that have an aperture in place of the notched blade. It works...but an aperture that far forward is nowhere near as quick to use as one back by your eye, so you'd have to consider this carefully.

Good luck with this project; unfortunately, it looks like a bit of a PITA.
 
Here is what I'm up against.

View attachment 138640

Is that model 57 sight going to work?

Thanks,

M

I will venture that there is a reasonable chance that it will work.

Here is a portion of the installation manual for the 57 SML.

INSTALLING ON GUNS OTHER THAN LYMAN AND THOMPSON/CENTER
The 57 SML sight will fit many guns other than Lyman and the Thompson/Center
Hawkens with minor adjustments as described below:
It is important that the horizontal part of the sight's slide is level and that the sight's
base is mounted in line with the bore. Placing spacers under one end of the base or
the other will allow the slide to move up and down vertically. Inletting the wrist of
the stock allows mounting the sight's base on rifles with short tangs. Shimming and
inletting will allow you to adapt the 57 SML to many tang and stock configurations.

Once the sight sits level and in proper position over the bore, proceed with installa-
tion as described for the Lyman rifle. Where the rifle's tang is short, the base can be
held to the wrist of the stock with two wood screws.

This is your chance to practice your inletting skills. ;)
 
How willing are you to tap a couple holes on there to fit a skinner site? At least you would then have options for other sites as the mounting holes seem pretty standard.
 
Not drilled and tapped for a scope and the rear sight isn't dove tailed. That whole boxy looking rear sight thing is held in place by a single screw and an alignment pin.

2.JPG

Traditions sure took some short cuts with this one!

I'm starting to think I might be better off, just ditching the rifle and upgrading to a T/C.

Thoughts?

M
 

Attachments

  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom