.32 rimfire question

Same here. As I say above, I had to offset and was looking at better options for brass. But an offset is mandatory, UNLESS I modify the hammer/firing pin to drop it a bit. I have been making the offset base (see Manual of Cartridge Conversions - using brass tubing) and it works great as far as the .22 goes, but I'm not thrilled at the ability of the tubing (even thinned/reamed) at holding the roundball.

So again, like I say above, I'm considering just modifying the hammer then I could actually use the centered .22 blank and it would speed life up a bit. Then I could use my .32 Long or Short Colt brass with the primer pocket drilled out (I have a chamber reamer but they are almost too loose).

Why not just use the HC casings?
 
Ha I just enjoy the challenge. Plus I have all the stuff here to do it so... I gotta justify all that money somehow right? LOL to the wife anyway :)

It's the "thrill of the chase"

I have made quite a few now using different methods, some work better than others but I think I know what I want now.

Good on ya, I wish I could have got my .32 colt brass working right. I wrecked a lot of casings lol
 
I tried that but could never get any of my rimfire hammers to set of the centered .22

if the 22 shell is seated flush with the rim or base of the 32 shell, you will be using up energy trying to distort the brass rim of the 32 shell. As long as the blade of the hammer reaches the 22 shell, you need to thin the 32 rim so that the 22 shell sits.005 to .010" proud and allows the hammer to use all of its force on the 22 shell

cheers mooncoon
 
if the 22 shell is seated flush with the rim or base of the 32 shell, you will be using up energy trying to distort the brass rim of the 32 shell. As long as the blade of the hammer reaches the 22 shell, you need to thin the 32 rim so that the 22 shell sits.005 to .010" proud and allows the hammer to use all of its force on the 22 shell

cheers mooncoon

The firing pins in both my revolver and my Favorite, only grazed a centered .22. No impact to the priming compound at all. Offset, and it fires every time.

I should add, that I mill (or file) a recess for the firing pins in all mine so there would be no clearance issue, the rim can crush IF the firing pin blade strikes it.

Yes many folks have success but I think it is very much specific to the gun. That includes variations within the same make/model.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom