Economical alternative to sabots?

ninepointer

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Location
Central Ontario
My ML is an in-line (CVA Optima). I'm looking for a bullet (that won't put me into the poorhouse) for fun shoots and friendly competition.

CVA says not to use patch & ball, but I don't see why not. Might it be due to rate of twist?

What economical bullets would the experts recommend?
 
Last edited:
You don't say what caliber. Many options. Mini and maxi's these will very well with a faster rate of twist. Lee's REAL has been mentioned, Lee also has a mini ball. Round don't work well in the faster rates of twist barrels. 1 in 48 will shoot balls plus your bullet types well. Faster twists are for mini maxi and real bullets. Casting your own really drops your price down.
 
You don't say what caliber. Many options. Mini and maxi's these will very well with a faster rate of twist. Lee's REAL has been mentioned, Lee also has a mini ball. Round don't work well in the faster rates of twist barrels. 1 in 48 will shoot balls plus your bullet types well. Faster twists are for mini maxi and real bullets. Casting your own really drops your price down.

CVA Optima, 1:28 twist.
 
Buy the sabots separately and put cast pistol bullests in them My 50 cal sabots used to take .452 diameter cast pistol bullets
 
CVA says not to use patch & ball, but I don't see why not. Might it be due to rate of twist?

you might be able to find a load that is accurate with patched roundball. It would take a lot of experimenting because of the fast twist rate. You want a ball that is about .010 below bore diameter and a patch that allows you to load it. You should also try both 2 F and 3 F powder and start around 30 grains and work up in 5 grain jumps and shoot at 25 yards so that you are sure to see any groups and trends as you change powder charge. The most accurate load for 3F with probably not be the same velocity as the best load for 2F. I worked up most accurate loads for a 1:48 twist 54 cal and the 2F load was quite a bit faster than the one for 3F

cheers mooncoon
 
Fast rate of twist will not stabilize a round ball. I primarily shoot round ball in my muzzle loaders. 1 in 48 shoots both ball and conicals.

that's not completely true; a twist rate of 1:25 or so can shoot accurately but not necessarily at a desirable velocity. I have a 64 cal german rifle that is accurate and has a 1:26 twist but only with a light load. Short barrels seem to be more forgiving than long barrels for some reason; When I used to shoot an italian hawken copy, I don't recall noticing the accuracy change with different loads although maybe I just hit the right load to start with and in my inexperience did not bother benching the gun. Later I had a 54 cal with a 1:48 twist and it was fussy. 55 grains of 3F or 80 grains of 2F based on 5 shot groups from the bench. Any deviation from those loads and the group opened up noticeably

cheers mooncoon
 
It's rare to find a rifle with fast twist that shoots round ball well. I belong to a muzzle loader club and the success rate is not good. Always found it was easier to get a conical to shoot in a slow twist. Anytime I have heard about rb shooting well in fast twist it is always a low charge weight. My theory is if it works use it. Easiest route for OP is to use a conical which he should be able to get decent accuracy with half loads. If he listens to all of us he is going to have fun finding a load or two.
MUZZLE LOADERS DO IT WITH BALLS.
 
I appreciate all the responses guys, very informative and interesting. However I don't think casting bullets is in my future, at least not for the 2 or 3 muzzleloader fun shoots my club does per year. What I was after was a .50 cal. store-bought conical bullet alternative to sabots. Is there a commercially-made mini/maxi ball type of ML bullet?
 
What I was after was a .50 cal. store-bought conical bullet alternative to sabots. Is there a commercially-made mini/maxi ball type of ML bullet?

Yes, T/C Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunter. Cabela's use to sell them but they aren't listed on their website anymore.

They were quite pricy.

M
 
I appreciate all the responses guys, very informative and interesting. However I don't think casting bullets is in my future, at least not for the 2 or 3 muzzleloader fun shoots my club does per year. What I was after was a .50 cal. store-bought conical bullet alternative to sabots. Is there a commercially-made mini/maxi ball type of ML bullet?

For off the shelf and easy to find, hornady .44 240gr xtp and bulk hornady sabots will probably prove to be the most cost effective and will still perform well on game if you choose to hint with your setup.
 
Great plains lubed lead. I havent tried them in my guns yetbbut i bought abunch as platinum powerbelts are north of $40 for 15 now. They had great reviews. Maybe this week ill get out and try them.
 
Back
Top Bottom