Winchester 1892 Carbine

bgcameron

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Location
Victoria, BC
What would be a good price for one in VG condition, 44-40, but has been rebarrelled? 1905 serial number. The seller says the barrel doesn't have the standard Winchester stamps, so I am not too sure what the history is.
 
82e812f110da853ce475863d8d2573443326f0b3.jpg
 

Hello,

The barrel is definitely not "period correct." The rear sight position is too far from the receiver face. I would also bet that the gun has been re-blued and the wood sanded and refinished. If the barrel were in bad enough that it needed to be replaced then the rest of the gun would look well worn also. BUT, this one looks "decent" since it is refinished. I certainly would not go above about $400 as a shooter grade gun. More photos would help if possible.

Michael
 
nus.I recently bought a Rossi '92 in 44-40 for what has been suggested as a fair rice for your gun. My 3rd 44-40 rifle, it's not as slick to operate as my Henry or '66, but it's ACCURATE! I took 11 grouse with it last fall - all head shots! I was hoping to find a deer, but the grouse were a nice bonus. The 44-40 and the '92 are still a viable hunting combo.

The rear sight being further ahead is good for older eyes. The fact that it is a SRC is a plus.
 
nus.I recently bought a Rossi '92 in 44-40 for what has been suggested as a fair rice for your gun. My 3rd 44-40 rifle, it's not as slick to operate as my Henry or '66, but it's ACCURATE! I took 11 grouse with it last fall - all head shots! I was hoping to find a deer, but the grouse were a nice bonus. The 44-40 and the '92 are still a viable hunting combo.

The rear sight being further ahead is good for older eyes. The fact that it is a SRC is a plus.

Grouse eh? I might just have to take this one out in the fall. These island deer are pretty small so I'm sure the 44-40 will be just fine.
 
bgcameron,

Excellent job on the photos! I am going to stick with the $400 estimate for the value of the gun. The metal has definitely been re-blued and the wood has been very lightly sanded and refinished. The gun looks pretty half way decent ands with the replaced barrel would probably shoot fine. It just has no collector value and therefore the value is as a shooter/hunting tool and it competes with the millions of other rifles out there. Do you happen to have the serial number so that I can add the rifle into my research survey of the 1892's? http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Thanks
Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom