Regardless of how it may be classed, black powder does not detonate as some people believe. The basis for saying that is that I tried breach seating bullets in a BP cartridge rifle with two different cartridges and two different rifles. I used a near case full of 3 F powder, lightly compressed then about 1/4" of compressible felt and the bullet seated in the bore with the base of the bullet at the mouth of the case. In both cases (no pun intended) I had case separations about 1/2 way up the cartridge and the front portion of the case jammed into the beginning of the rifling. The only way that I can explain that result is that the powder next to the primer ignited first and the powder progressively burned forward but without the inertia of the slug to hold the powder near the mouth of the case to ignite, the compressed plug of powder gripped the case walls and dragged the front half forward. If black powder detonated, the whole charge would go off almost instantaneously and would not drag the front of the case forward. I did not get that result when I used a more or less incompressible wad (wonder wad) between the bullet and the powder. In smokeless cartridges at least, case separation from excessive head space, occur just ahead of the web of the base of the cartridge. I don't recall having any similar case separations with black powder, maybe because they indexed on the rim
cheers mooncoon