Advice on gearing up a new percussion rifle?

Canuck Bob

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are nipple wrenches uniform or different for every manufacturer. I realize the threads vary but what about the wrench to nipple uniformity?

Are the capper mounting tools required?

What is the best Pyrodex product for a 45 Investarm Hawken, P, RS, Select. Is Triple 7 a better alternative? I'm planning to use BP but want to experiment with subs in case of BP supply problems. The internet is full of folks concerned about continuing BP supply. Is this stuff water cleaning compatible like BP?

What are the difference between CCI #11, CCI #11 Magnum, and Rem #11 (advertised as 40% hotter than earlier versions)?

I'm going to order in some extra nipples, probably from TOTW. Factory replacements, Ampco, stainless steel, techy types like Hot Shot?

My used Deerstalker came with an aluminum ramrod, I like it. I'm thinking of picking up a metal rod for the 45. What about aluminum versus brass rods?
 
So many questions! Firstly nipple wrenches are pretty generic as nipples are mostly the same except smaller for pistol and small rifle 12/28 style vs the standard 1/4 x 28 in most hawkens. Italian models use a different thread nipple but external size is the same. Musket cap is larger still so there are 3 sizes to worry about. Capping can be done without tool unless you have clumsy or fat fingers. Watched a number of times as friends tried to ignite pyrodex in their hawken until putting a small amount of fffg in the nipple cavity to get the shot out. Can't tell the difference between the #11 and #11 magnum but shy away from the Remington. Replacement nipples in stainless- yes and Hot shot if you like - I personally did not find a difference between them. I use a brass rod - and like the solid thrust to seat the ball rather than bouncing an aluminum rod. How's that for more than 2 cents worth? Cheers
 
Another question please. I would never reverse a bronze brush inside a cartridge barrel yet folks seem to do it regularly in muzzleloaders. Is this a trouble free habit with these guns?
 
Another question please. I would never reverse a bronze brush inside a cartridge barrel yet folks seem to do it regularly in muzzleloaders. Is this a trouble free habit with these guns?

I seldom use a brush in a muzzleloader but a simple trick is to twist or turn it as you change from push to pull.

Any #11 caps should work for you. If they fall off give them a bit of a squeeze so they are oval shape and fit tighter. Or find #10 caps but they are used mostly in pistols. Buy any caps that are a good price. Saw some today listed over $11 a tin.

Where are you located? There are groups around who are great to connect with for tips on supplies or techniques to make life easier.
 
I'm in Calgary. Presently struggling with some health problems but hoping to make it to the range soon for the first time this year.
 
I never had a problem with the bore brush. A .45 should be using FFFG but FFG won't hurt. Pyrodex works very well in percussion arms, it ignites at a much higher temp. than BP but caps put out a very hot flame. A tip on nipples. Some have a fatter cone which may need 2 strikes. The last No.11 and a musket nipple I bought from TOTW needed filing. Put the nipple in a drill then turn it as a flat file is on the cone, doesn't need much but makes a big difference in the frustration dept. If you clean between shots take the nipple out and poke a pipe cleaner through the touch hole, it clogs up frequently which is also a pain as you wonder why it won't go off. Enjoy.
 
Back
Top Bottom