Winchester 1894 38-55

2tall2

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
GTA Ontario :(
I was looking at an old Winchester 1894 38-55 today. No pictures. Looks to be complete, original and not refinished. All the bluing is gone, just grey metal, and maybe a little brown petina. Serial number was 149xx, so looks like was built in early 1895. Rifle was fired a few times a couple years ago. Cycled and operated fine.

Any idea of value?
 
I sold a good condition 1894,38-55 at the Consort gun show 2-3 years ago for $650. They are nice and I love the cartridge, but most collectors want them in ex shape. (Like there are a lot of 123 yr old in ex conditions) I thought it would be worth more but got little interest.
 
I was looking at an old Winchester 1894 38-55 today. No pictures. Looks to be complete, original and not refinished. All the bluing is gone, just grey metal, and maybe a little brown petina. Serial number was 149xx, so looks like was built in early 1895. Rifle was fired a few times a couple years ago. Cycled and operated fine.

Any idea of value?

I bought one a few months ago from a Cabela's gun library. Similar low(old) serial and in better condition. I paid their asking of $475, I thought it was fair price. Been shooting skunks with it, surprisingly accurate and nice shooter, next to no recoil.
 
I just bought a 94 made in 1908 for 700 with a period Lyman peep site. Try buying the site separate, 2 to 3 hundred. I believe I paid what it was worth. Finish well worn, excellent bore. A price on a rifle based on someone else's discription is not easy. I looked at a $1600 BRNO recently,discription sounded good. I walked away due to condition of rifle bore. Not cleaned after using corrosive ammunition.
So far you have prices of 2 to 7 hundred paid for various conditions of 94 's.
 
Thanks for the responses. With no knowledge of the older rifles, I had no idea if it would be a $200.00 gun, or $2000.00.
Bluing was gone, but wood looked ok for being 123 years old. Finish worn, but no visible cracks or repairs. I guess if I can get it for a few hundred it would be a good deal. ;)
 
Also a special order that is often overlooked on 38-55's is a marked "Nickel Steel" barrel - standard factory barrels were "Ordnance Steel" not marked.

So, if it's a Nickel Steel barrel - up goes the chamber pressure and the price.
 
You could compare condition against my 'Ol 26" round barrel. The #'s put this one late '94 thru '95 production, I shoot Lazer Casts thru it and even knocked down a little fork horn while getting firewood with it six seasons ago.......

I got offered $700 ONCE in thirty years when I pulled it out at the range and the right person was beside me but it has family history back to the 1920's and then some in the family so no dice.

Good Luck, and they still can do what they are meant too. Lots of brass and slugs available.

View attachment 198397View attachment 198398
 
You could compare condition against my 'Ol 26" round barrel. The #'s put this one late '94 thru '95 production, I shoot Lazer Casts thru it and even knocked down a little fork horn while getting firewood with it six seasons ago.......

I got offered $700 ONCE in thirty years when I pulled it out at the range and the right person was beside me but it has family history back to the 1920's and then some in the family so no dice.

Good Luck, and they still can do what they are meant too. Lots of brass and slugs available.

View attachment 198397View attachment 198398

$700 would be a steal for that 1894. Looks to be a lot of finish remaining and wood is undicked with.
 
Back
Top Bottom