Heffley Creek Rendezvous 2018

mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Vancouver Island
I returned Sunday evening from an enjoyable 10 days at the Heffley Creek Rendezvous. In spite of the extreme fire hazard for the province, the area of the rendezvous was surprisingly green and we had short periods of rain on 3 of the 10 days. The air was fairly smoky for the first few days then the wind changed and the air was clear. I am posting a before and after photo to show the difference between smoky and clear.

SpHWSFC.jpg


cT4xaDB.jpg


the camp is divided into tin town and primitive with about 30 camps in primitive, spread over 5 to 10 acres and around 70 camps in the tin area. That is down about 30 camps from recent years, with at least a few of those camps absent because of asthma. We had 2 events per day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, covering all aspects of black powder shooting; muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading handgun, primitive archery, cartridge and muzzle loading shotgun. One of the handgun targets involved sitting on a chair and shooting at a chicken gong. Purely in the interests of safety, the organizers of the event provided a non slip chair to sit on. The non slip portion featured screws pointing up through the seat of the chair :>)

35pdWRH.jpg


Because it is spread out with lots of elbow room, its difficult to portray the primitive area, but I have one view of the lower end looking south east from my camp and another looking north more or less from the center of the area, at the upper camps. Once the rendezvous starts, vehicles are only allowed into primitive, to load or unload.

NfsDVzz.jpg


HYK32Wb.jpg


PktSa4R.jpg


I didn't take any photos of the shooting because it was awkward to pack the camera plus shoot. I did get one shot of a perfect bullseye in one of the hawk and knife events.

9aTVG6T.jpg


The only trophy I won was the coveted dry ball bib which must be worn until the next person is awarded it; it obviously must be coveted because it was awarded every evening at council fire. In my case, I was experimenting to find the minimum charge necessary for shooting. That is my story and I am sticking to it :>)

B2cQqtT.jpg
 
Last edited:
In a lot of ways, the weather was better than most years. In the past, it has started out pretty hot then changed suddenly to a cool fall weather for the last 2 or 3 days. This year the smoke probably shielded us from the direct sunlight and the days were fairly comfortable. It was also like having an early fall. Smoke only lasted a few days and was no worse that it was in Nanaimo at the time that I left. The rendezvous gave me a chance to chat with several friends that I only see once a year plus check out trade blankets scattered through both primitive and tin town. I definitely need to do a lot more practicing before next year

cheers mooncoon
 
Doug, Thanks for the pictures. We hated to miss it this year but the 2nd house we bought for the farm showed up on the Friday so we had to stay home and get it busy on it so we can be in it before fall. Boy the field is sure green this year. Sure missed ya'll this year. But we'all be there next year.
 
Doug, Thanks for the pictures.
Boy the field is sure green this year. Sure missed ya'll this year. But we'all be there next year.

It's so green because it rained to beat hell during the annual Cowboy Action Shoot in July! The BC vs the rest of the world team steel shoot had to be cancelled and the long range BPCR event was similarly dampened. I think I prefer it when it's hot and dry so long as BP isn't banned due to the fire hazard.
 
I wish we had rendezvous in Ontario !

Probably the biggest 2 things are someone to organize it and a large location to hold it. At Heffley, the events are staged by individual clubs or more correctly by a small number of individuals from a club. Over 10 days we have roughly 20 individual groups organizing one event each, most of which last for about 4 hours. The organizing group provides shooting related prizes for the top ten people. The booshway or head person is elected each year at the end of the rendezvous and many have served multiple years

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom