Ballard Rifles

cdnrokon

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Location
Manitoba
just seeing how many people have ballard rifles and shoot them?

I have had a #4 perfection in 50/70....sold many years ago

I have a #3 gallery in 22rf that is my main 22 silhouette rifle has new wood and a 30" full octagon GM barrel

would love to hear from others that have and shoot them..
 
I have a premarlin Ballard that someone converted to 45 70!
I've shot it with light loads,it works pretty well but it's not the strongest action around.
Probably should leave it on the wall.
 
I just recently acquired a pre Marlin Ballard. It was made just after Ball and Williams part ways and R. Ball takes over production. It is in .44 dual ignition Rimfire/Percussion. I have decided to rework it into a centerfire. Not wanting to damage the original block or hammer I have just ordered the castings for a new block, along with a hammer from the Rifle Shoppe. Yet another project.
 
Have 2 of them; a Ballard Pacific in 38-55 and a 38 cal dual ignition [rimfire or percussion cap].........have shot both of them.

I am picking up a marlin ballard tomorrow. Its stamped 38cal. I read these could be rimfire or flip pin to centerfire. So 38 rimfire or 38 ballard center fire. I didnt read nothing about percussion cap!
 
I have a Ballard Pacific that I rebarreled to 38-56 as well as restocked and made a new lever for. It is a nice gun altlhough I have only fired a few shots through it in recent years

cheers mooncoon
 
I have a Merrimack Arms made .46 rimfire/percussion rifle. Have fired it percussion, using a .44-40 case with a tiny hole in the cup of an expended primer. Breech seated .45 lead pistol bullets.
 
On the dual ignition guns the percussion feature was to provide an alernative firing method if one ran out of rimfire ammo........just punch a hole in the base of a rimfire case, fill with powder and ball, change the hammer striker, add a perc cap and you were back in business. I use 38 special cases in mine with the primer removed and a perc cap..........getting very close to centre fire.
 
Mine doesn't have an adjustment in the hammer nose. If a case is used, it must have an indent for the rimfire firing pin/hammer nose. If a rimfire case were being used, the rim would be crushed; an adapted centerfire case with solid rim must be notched.
Really a good idea to wear safety glasses, considering where the nipple and cap are.
 
On the dual ignition guns the percussion feature was to provide an alernative firing method if one ran out of rimfire ammo........just punch a hole in the base of a rimfire case, fill with powder and ball, change the hammer striker, add a perc cap and you were back in business. I use 38 special cases in mine with the primer removed and a perc cap..........getting very close to centre fire.

Wouldnt a primer in the primer hole work? wouldnt the gas blowback through the cap? How to tell if this marlin ballard I am getting is pecussion cap or center fire?
 
got the ballard today. Its stamped 38 long. has 1875 patent date. Its got the reversable firing pin for rimfire to center fire. from what I have read, I should be able to make cases from 38 special and get a heeled bullet mold for it. In the meantime I have to re stock it.
 
Well I got it home and tried a few cartridges in it. 38 special, 38 colt and 38 s&w too loose. But 38-55 slides right in. So I am thinking someone rechambered it to 38-55 a long time ago. Its a marlin ballard no2. Now is it a strong enough action for 38-55?
 
It appears that the Marlin Ballards made for RF and smaller CF ctgs , 38L, 44L , 32L etc, were made with cast receivers and those in larger CF calibres ,38-55, 45-70, 45-100 etc had "wrought" (forged) frames.
From "A Guide to the Ballard Breechloader" Layman.
 
Back
Top Bottom