Kentucky help

Malus91

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I just acquired a Kentucky fie Italy 45 cal percussion cap made in the 70’s.
I have very little experience in black powder so I would be very appreciative on any knowledge about it as well as any load data for it.
 
So. I just acquired a Kentucky fie Italy 45 cal percussion cap made in the 70’s.
I have very little experience in black powder so I would be very appreciative on any knowledge about it as well as any load data for it.

Is it a Pedersoli or Investarms or? There should be a maker's name or mark on it plus there should also be a couple of letters for a date code. Should be a fair bit of info online as to loads. You will have to experiment with different loads/patch thickness to see what it likes best. It will be a learning curve for awhile but fun. Cleaning a Kentucky style rifle is a bit more of a chore compared to a Hawken where the barrel is easily removed. You can flush the barrel from the nipple instead of risking soaking the wood every time. Someone will come along with more detail.
 
60 gr. of bp or pyrodex rs, .010 - .015 cotton patch and some t/c natural lube as a patch lubricant. excellent load. soap clean the bore after use, sunlight works well, make sure you use extremely hot water, dry bore and plug the nipple port with some balled up Kleenex. Pour some wd-40 into barrel and let sit for a while, drain and wipe dry, add a few drops of oil down the barrel so it sits on the breach plug, saturate a patch with oil and coat the bore. Remove the oil from the bore with break cleaner before you use it again.
 
Your welcome to come out to the Saskatoon Muzzloading club any time, there is no end of guys, including myself, to help you get up and going. I prefer a light load in my he 45, typically 45 gr FFFg powder under a 440 round ball. Patch thickness depends on your barrel but a good start is to go to the fabric store in Market mall and get some 100% cotton cloth. I think the stuff I bought a couple of weeks ago was called natural cotton or something, cotton ticking works and it is in the same are but it is a bit thinner. The club is 15 minutes west of toon town and guests are welcome. Most of us tend to prefer black powder over Goex. I have lots and can sell you a pound if you like. PM me if you would like to set up a time to come out. You can also come to the Christmas shoot and try it out, non of us can hit anything in the cold anyway. The shoot is Dec 3rd and costs $5. The web site is https://www.saskatoonmuzzleloadingclub.com/.

Good luck,

Rex
 
Find yourself a copy of the LYMAN Black Powder Handbook. It covers everything you need to know as well as BP load data.

M
 
Back
Top Bottom