577 Snider Mark II** 2 band long rifle variant

257WBYMAG

New member
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Location
Ontario
I recently acquired a .577 Mark II** 2 band rifle with 36.5 inch barrel and brass hardware. Overall length is 54.25 inches. Any information I can find suggests that all 2 band rifles are the short rifle with 30.5 inch barrel and overall length of 48.6 inches and have iron hardware. I couldn't find any reference to a 2 band long rifle. The photo shows a Pedersoli 1853 Enfield for comparison. Any suggestions on what variant this might be?577.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 577.jpg
    577.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 216
Thats different most 2 band rifles I have seen are MKIII wonder if someone just changed out the stock
 
Thats different most 2 band rifles I have seen are MKIII wonder if someone just changed out the stock

The length of the stock is in between the short and long rifle. If somebody had cut down a long rifle stock, then the band spacing would not match. I can't see any obvious sign of anything being altered. Also the spacing between the bands does not match the short rifle.
 
257: There is no known Ordnance issue variation like this rifle. There are, however, a great many Sniders out there that have been altered over the years. Take the barrel out of the stock and have a close look along the barrel channel for any signs of a splice. I have one Mk II** 3-band that I owned for nearly a year before I noticed it had a very well done splice at the lower band. Back to the rifle- all two-band types have the "short rifle" barrel length. Actual two-band rifles can be found with Mk I*, Mk II**, and Mk III shoes or receivers.

milsurpo
 
P&S millitaria has one listed for sale right now MKII 2 band and they refer to it as a Naval Snider
 
Mystery solved. Milsurpo, you were right on the money. A very well done splice under the lower band. So it appears to be a 3 band long rifle that someone fabricated the forward part of the stock and used 2 bands. Maybe worth a little less in value but won't be any less fun to shoot which is the reason I bought it. Thanks to everyone for your replies.
 
257WM: And they sure are a lot of fun to shoot. Are you planning to use brass 24g shotgun shells? Three ways to go for bullets: .60 round balls, .60 conical solids, or slightly sub-bore minie-type bullets. Personally I like the minie bullets in the 3-band , slow twist, long rifles as the .60's take a lot of forcing to get through the big, wide .577 lands. The good thing is, everything needed is easily available.

milsurpo
 
257WM: And they sure are a lot of fun to shoot. Are you planning to use brass 24g shotgun shells? Three ways to go for bullets: .60 round balls, .60 conical solids, or slightly sub-bore minie-type bullets. Personally I like the minie bullets in the 3-band , slow twist, long rifles as the .60's take a lot of forcing to get through the big, wide .577 lands. The good thing is, everything needed is easily available.

milsurpo

Yes, I have 24 guage magtech brass which I will form to 577. I don't have a .60 cal round ball mold but I do cast soft 58 minie bullets for the 1853 Enfield. I still have to slug the barrel and will paper patch the 58 minie up to the required size. I do this for my 577-450 Martini Henry with .458 paper patched up to 471. Works very well and no leading. My rifle is also 3 groove slow twist. Thanks for your help.
Jim
 
Back
Top Bottom