Looking for advice on selling a 1859 S&W model 1-1/2

dober

New member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Toronto
I’m trying to help a friend sell an 1859 Smith & Wesson from their late grandfather. It comes with a box of 32 short ammo and is in working condition.

I called one gun store in the area and they offered 150-200 on consignment.

What is the best way to figure out what it’s worth?

I realize that it doesn’t appeal to a large amount of people but I’m just trying to get the best value for the family.


Thanks
 
I’m trying to help a friend sell an 1859 Smith & Wesson from their late grandfather. It comes with a box of 32 short ammo and is in working condition.

I called one gun store in the area and they offered 150-200 on consignment.

What is the best way to figure out what it’s worth?

I realize that it doesn’t appeal to a large amount of people but I’m just trying to get the best value for the family.


Thanks

I think this one is restricted du to caliber.
 
OF COURSE it all depends on CONDITION.

That pistol wasn't very popular at any time since it was produced. Very shortly after it was put into production centerfire became popular.

Some of them still look like they're factory fresh.

I was looking at one last week end. It wasn't for sale. They normally bring around $200 in GOOD ONLY condition and go up to $400 if they are pristine in the box. The ammo you have has value as well.

TURF THE LIBERALS IN 2019

LIBERALS REALLY LIKE POOR PEOPLE, they're making more of them every day

If you can't vote CPC, stay at home in protest
 
I’m guessing 2nd? It has 2 dates on it. April 3, 1855 and July 5, 1859

Just doing some googling and it looks like it would be a 1st issue if it only has the 2 patent dates. It would have been made later than 1859. Production was 1865 and later.

Pictures would help!

Here is a link with a couple for sale. I think the first issue is more rare and worth some more.

oldgunscanada.com/american-guns
 
Last edited:
Agreed; Considering that the "Suicide Specials" tend to actually sell for 300 to 400 with premiums on "name brands" like H&R, H&A, F&W etc, I can't imagine a S&W in good condition going for less than $500. And yes to the $150 for a box of ammo. Make your own reloadable 32 RF and save the ammo for the collectors, it's worth too much IMHO.

My 0.02 only, have gone through a few.
 
Thanks for the help everyone.

It looks like it’s a first issue based on the smooth cylinder it has. The condition doesn’t look to be that great though compared to what’s on that website. Has some pitting for sure but I’ll have a better look at it this week.

Think it’s worth trying to list it on here for sale?
 
Back
Top Bottom