All I can share is my own experience with entering BP years ago. I too bought a cheap (but broken) rifle then I started reading and watching videos online. Next? Scan the EE hourly! So many folks get out of BP just as fast as they got into it that there are always awesome deals to be had. Remember that a couple hundred years ago people were using the identical type of gun WITHOUT all the super-high-end cutting edge components that we have available today so before you go talking yourself into that gold-plated powder flask from Track of the Wolf for $325 because some die-hard re-enacter has one, remember that the original users of these types of guns used bear grease as lube, their shirttails as patches and anything close to water tight to carry powder. I personally use paste furniture wax and pure lard as lubricants, brake anti-seize on nipples and breech-plugs and whatever pillow-case fabric that happens to hold my ball tight. When it comes to cleaning I break out my big jug of homemade Ed's Red and have at'er. The name of the game with BP shooting is to get back to the basics and above all else....have fun. Nothing makes me smile wider than smelling melted lard and real BP soot on my hands after a few reloads! ENJOY!