Buying a Used Uberti 1858 New Model Army

Re3iever

Regular
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
I have a couple of questions, deal hasn't closed yet but I just noticed something in the pictures the seller sent me.

In addition to the gun he is giving me a half-can of Goex FFG black powder and a couple of partial boxes of balls .451 round ball and .457 round ball.

In my research the recommendation is usually for FFFG black powder and .457 round balls. Is it possible the FFG has damaged the gun? I realize the balls are obviously different diameters but can the smaller diameter ball be safely fired in this revolver?

One last question, where in Canada can you get a spare cylinder for this revolver?

Thanks, Roger
 
45 cap and ball will take 451, 454 and 457. I like using 454 as it shaves a decent ring of lead but less effort then the 457. As for the powder all Real black powder has the same chemical make up. Just different burn rates. Ffg will work with a steel frame NOT BRASS you cant get enough powder in to damage the frame, but never use ffffg thats for flint pans. If the particals are bigger they will not burn completely prior to existing the barrel and burn in the air. Check out youtubes "smarter every day" he shoots a cannon with high speed camera.
One thing to note alot of the 1858 made in Italy may have an issue with the barrels being over or under indexed which can be a challenge to fix or not much fun to shoot.
And if you want to shoot it alot be sure to apply heavy grease to the cylinder pin as the small pin fouls fast, and if you dont can be a pain the a** to clean
 
Last edited:
FFg or FFFg are both fine in any BP pistol. If the .451" balls shave a little while seated they are fine otherwise use the larger size. Built a simple stand to hold the gun upright while loading - it's easier than growing an extra hand.

Lots on YouTube about shooting cap and ball. It's really very straight forward once you do it a time or two.
 
2 or 3 years ago I had Dixie ship me a batch of cylinders for Uberti 1858's . I have enough to shoot a 5 stage cowboy match without loading cylinders at the match. Dixie just put them in the mail. Dixie was also the cheapest place I found , in some instances way less.I know you are looking for a Canadian source.But getting them out of US was pretty simple. I did have to pay GST to get them out of the Post Office.
 
From what I understand, on the Canadian side as long as its legally allowed and registered (in the case of a restricted frame) CBSA charges duty if applicable and you move on with your life. The real problem with components can be the ATF. In the states, black powder firearms aren't regulated as firearms at all so theoretically you should be able to import a cap and ball cylinder into canada. That being said, if you are concerned, contact Proline Shooters in Calgary and they may have them or can certainly get them for you.
 
45 cap and ball will take 451, 454 and 457. I like using 454 as it shaves a decent ring of lead but less effort then the 457. As for the powder all Real black powder has the same chemical make up. Just different burn rates. Ffg will work with a steel frame NOT BRASS you cant get enough powder in to damage the frame, but never use ffffg thats for flint pans. If the particals are bigger they will not burn completely prior to existing the barrel and burn in the air. Check out youtubes "smarter every day" he shoots a cannon with high speed camera.
One thing to note alot of the 1858 made in Italy may have an issue with the barrels being over or under indexed which can be a challenge to fix or not much fun to shoot.
And if you want to shoot it alot be sure to apply heavy grease to the cylinder pin as the small pin fouls fast, and if you dont can be a pain the a** to clean

I'm assuming you meant .44 cap and ball will take .451,.454 and .457 not 45? Also in regards to "the barrels being over or under indexed" does this refer to the alignment between the cylinder and barrel?

Thanks R
 
FFg or FFFg are both fine in any BP pistol. If the .451" balls shave a little while seated they are fine otherwise use the larger size. Built a simple stand to hold the gun upright while loading - it's easier than growing an extra hand.

Lots on YouTube about shooting cap and ball. It's really very straight forward once you do it a time or two.

Thanks, I have indeed been looking at a lot of videos on YouTube and I am looking at building both the wooden stand to assist in loading the gun as well as the cylinder press to load cylinders.
 
2 or 3 years ago I had Dixie ship me a batch of cylinders for Uberti 1858's . I have enough to shoot a 5 stage cowboy match without loading cylinders at the match. Dixie just put them in the mail. Dixie was also the cheapest place I found , in some instances way less.I know you are looking for a Canadian source.But getting them out of US was pretty simple. I did have to pay GST to get them out of the Post Office.

Thanks, I did check out Dixie and pricing seems reasonable for the regular cylinders but they do not seem to carry the conversion cylinders.
 
From what I understand, on the Canadian side as long as its legally allowed and registered (in the case of a restricted frame) CBSA charges duty if applicable and you move on with your life. The real problem with components can be the ATF. In the states, black powder firearms aren't regulated as firearms at all so theoretically you should be able to import a cap and ball cylinder into canada. That being said, if you are concerned, contact Proline Shooters in Calgary and they may have them or can certainly get them for you.

Thanks, I have sent the Proline folks an email.
 
Back
Top Bottom