Flint napping

geotndtwine

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Location
Calgary, Alberta
The love of the lost arts is calling my name, i know you can buy flints both new and antique. I was wondering if any one knows where to get decent peices of flint to start napping. From what iv read here is southern alberta its not like i can find any on a walk or otherwise. Thanks
 
Glass Butte, Oregon is a source of obsidian. It's naturally occurring glass so is very hard and brittle making it difficult to not crush edges when you are try to press off flakes. Beer bottles and many other glass works exactly the same as obsidian.

Chert that is pretty coarse and hard to work can be found in the mountains. Quartz can be knapped but it's worse than chert.
 
Do you want to make sharp objects like knives and arrow heads or make sparks for lighting fires. Obsidian is super sharp but does not create sparks. My obsidian primitive steak knife is as good as any metal knife I own... I watched a knapper make an arrow head from a piece of red glass and it was beautiful...now I own it!

Search around the net because there is a group here in Alberta that knaps just about anything that can be knapped. They attend the Fort Whoop Up Black Powder Club rendezvous at Lethbridge on Labour Day Weekend most years. That is where I got my obsidian knife.
 
Fellow had a box full at a local gun show. Asking $5 for 3 flints ... that a good price?

If they're decent quality, it sure is. I'd be inclined to buy the box at that price if they were the size I needed and of good quality.

Figure $2 US a flint plus shipping for the best quality English flints from Track, so say $3 CDN to your door?
 
Cost of flints has gone up. They now are around 4.50 a piece. Good thing I hoard them. And can’t wait to move home... I have a little honey hole I pick them up in where someone dumped tons of flint in the 18th century. :D
 
Cost of flints has gone up. They now are around 4.50 a piece. Good thing I hoard them. And can’t wait to move home... I have a little honey hole I pick them up in where someone dumped tons of flint in the 18th century. :D

Anytime I place an order with Track of the Wolf or similar I through in a handful of flints to help defray the cost of shipping and other charges.
Still cheaper than $12/100 for caps! Glad I stocked up on those too.
 
Back
Top Bottom