Help me prove my Webley RIC is an Antique? PROVEN AND DEREGISTERED! THANKS CGN

BlackPowderBurner

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
125   0   3
Location
the chesterfield
So I'm trying to go through the process of deregistering this Webley, I'm supposed to send in some pictures of it and "any supporting documentation". Can you guys help me out with the latter? From what I understand, the winged hollow base bullet shows it to be "Webley and Sons" which would be pre 1897... Any help would be appreciated! Also, what do the M.P marks on the butt signify?

Thanks in advance :)
uQiMXN6.jpg
m4YjsAp.jpg
PI5ULbF.jpg
YXwzBCt.jpg
uaRdlFM.jpg
 
Last edited:
Your revolver is one from the batch imported by Century Arms. I understand that the MP refers to Melbourne Police. Other revolvers from this lot have been deregistered.
 
Mine is a .476 and serial # in mid 83,000's is antique status, but not sure if different caliber had diff serial #, Rita did mine a few years ago, take very good quality pics of all the markings like proof marks on cylinder and cylinder faces, everything you can find will help them prove it is antique, they are quite good at their jobs. If you call them you may be able to email the pics also.
 
P. Webley & Son lasted until 1897, when a merger resulted in the formation of Webley & Scott.
The winged bullet trademark is that of Webley and Son.
I expect that your revolver is marked P. Webley & Son, not Webley and Scott
 
Last edited:
If you mean mine, yes, as is the OP, so I think he just needs to send in the pics of those area's and bobs yer antique uncle! Nice looking gun, they are quite sturdy!
 
Mine in 450 has the winged Minnie ball bullet trademark of Webley and Sons as well. In fact my marking on the left side of the frame are identical to the OP's gun but a higher number in the 86,000's but the marking show everything to be an antique. I would love to get the antique status letter for her but I have read so much conflicting direction on how to do this for my old head to figure it out. Who is Rita?

Cheers
Moe
 
Mine in 450 has the winged Minnie ball bullet trademark of Webley and Sons as well. In fact my marking on the left side of the frame are identical to the OP's gun but a higher number in the 86,000's but the marking show everything to be an antique. I would love to get the antique status letter for her but I have read so much conflicting direction on how to do this for my old head to figure it out. Who is Rita?

Cheers
Moe
She is a verifier in Ottawa, there are a few, all seem good. just call the number for rcmp firearms and wait for the selection, I think it was 4, tell them what you have andwant to do, then you fill out the info online and they take it from there. Not that hard just takes a bit of time.
 
I was in touch a few years back with a Museum - Historian for the London - Metropolitan Police.

He wrote a paper on these revolvers, which I can't find at the moment.

When I do, I will post it.

Latest information from him is that these are indeed, London Metropolitan Police.

My M.P. marked RIC is no.429,,,, nine away from yours.

It was tracked to an inventory that was used in Yorkshire.

Oddly enough, my Great Grandfather worked there as a Bobby during the same period they where issued.

He was called up for duty during the Boer War as he was a Territorial with the Coldstream Guard.

He returned to police duty after the war, but died a few years later from TB.

When Joel Black wrote his book on Webley RIC's, they took the word of a collector in Australia that the MP was for Melbourne Police.

Joel realizes that this is not correct.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the update on the meaning of MP.
Mine are 29 and 76.
For what it is worth, the MP marks are rotated 90 degrees, and are in front of the lanyard ring.

001.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and info so far! I got a very pleasant surprise today, last night I emailed in the pictures I posted here and received a reply via email from a verifier this afternoon confirming that it is indeed antique and has been removed from the registry. Now to wait for a serialized letter.

I’m also curious how you guys are loading for .450CF? I’ve read .455 Webley interchanges but also that people are using .45 colt brass? I can’t wait to shoot this thing.
 
Thanks for all your help and info so far! I got a very pleasant surprise today, last night I emailed in the pictures I posted here and received a reply via email from a verifier this afternoon confirming that it is indeed antique and has been removed from the registry. Now to wait for a serialized letter.

I’m also curious how you guys are loading for .450CF? I’ve read .455 Webley interchanges but also that people are using .45 colt brass? I can’t wait to shoot this thing.


Just a quick reminder that Fiocchi ammo may (probably) be too "hot" for that revolver.... :yingyang:
 
Thanks for all your help and info so far! I got a very pleasant surprise today, last night I emailed in the pictures I posted here and received a reply via email from a verifier this afternoon confirming that it is indeed antique and has been removed from the registry. Now to wait for a serialized letter.

I’m also curious how you guys are loading for .450CF? I’ve read .455 Webley interchanges but also that people are using .45 colt brass? I can’t wait to shoot this thing.

I used shortened .45 Colt brass in any 450Rev irons I had. it worked fine. iirc the 450 Adams/450cf/450Revolver/450Boxer/450short were all pretty much the same...but it's been a while so don't take that as gospel

45 auto rimmed is what my Handloader Manual of Cartridge Conversions suggests.
 
Here's the page

QWNfef5.jpg


It also directs to notes on the Webley 455 MkI cartridge and states that a washer must be used over the rim while sizing to keep the thinned rim from ripping. If you want that page lmk.
 
Some .450 Revolvers will accept .455 Mk. II cases. Mine will not; it is necessary to shorten them a bit. I have not found it necessary to use a washer to protect the rim while sizing.
.455 brass is available; easier to use it than to alter .45Colt or .45AR cases.
 
Back
Top Bottom