musket caps

Dsiwy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
anyone know where to buy good quality musket caps for live fire shooting. I hear the new CCI musket caps are plagued with misfires and deliver poor accuracy.
 
Just found RWS #1081 musket caps at Sportique :)

But open to other suggestions if there are better caps out there
 
I may have to change from cci then. That could be my issues in my repro 1861 musketoon. I didnt think about the caps i just figured the rifle was that inconsistent
 
I may have to change from cci then. That could be my issues in my repro 1861 musketoon. I didnt think about the caps i just figured the rifle was that inconsistent

My Uberti Colt 1860 had a 50/50 misfire rate with CCI #10s, I swithed to Remington #10s and never had a misfire again.

If you're using good cap and real black powder, you should rarely get misfires.
 
My Uberti Colt 1860 had a 50/50 misfire rate with CCI #10s, I swithed to Remington #10s and never had a misfire again.

If you're using good cap and real black powder, you should rarely get misfires.

You also have to check the condition of the nipples. The more you play/shoot with them they get worn out. That will also throw your shot off.
BTW how did you get the girl from Messer Chups as your avatar?
 
You also have to check the condition of the nipples. The more you play/shoot with them they get worn out. That will also throw your shot off.
BTW how did you get the girl from Messer Chups as your avatar?

Absolutely, I bought spares from trackofthewolf, also bought a sizer and greaser for the minie balls. I had a Brown bess before and had it running like a champ, also never had a misfire.

My avatar is actual of Bettie Page, Messer Chups are just big Bettie Page fans. Most Industrial/goth,punk,rockabilly/psychobilly girls like to style themselves after her.

I just checked out Messer Chups, I'll have to add them to my Psychobilly play list! :D
 
Last edited:
H-777 is a ##### to light. A hangfire in a .54 Renegade is not what you would call comfortable.I use only real BP now.
 
tell me your load?
round ball or mini?
if mini lyman or RCBS
parker hale, ?

Im shooting mini's out of it. Im not sure of the mold type i bought them off a guy on cgn. I think they are 550gr. .577"

Ive used 60 to 100gr volume powder

Im not sure who makes the rifle. Its been scrubed and made to look old.

But i have noticed some times there is powder visible in the nipple and some times not.
 
Im shooting mini's out of it. Im not sure of the mold type i bought them off a guy on cgn. I think they are 550gr. .577"

Ive used 60 to 100gr volume powder

Im not sure who makes the rifle. Its been scrubed and made to look old.

But i have noticed some times there is powder visible in the nipple and some times not.

if your using 60-100gr of 777 in your gun than thats your problem lol. 777 is magnum powder compared to real BP, i would only use real BP in a Enfield unless you absolutely cant find it.

36-60gr of fffg blackpowered is more typical for target loads out of an Enfield
 
i use a .577 mini from a rcbs mould
rws musket cap on a Ampco nipple
57gr 2fg Goex max charge
most of the time 54-55 gr

if you want to get really picky find yourself a belding and mull powder measure and a bunch of glass vials, pre measure your loads. weigh all your bullets to make sure they are all the same,Install a new nipple every 200 rounds
Take a bathroom scale to the range and seat your bullet to the same weight pushed down on the scale every time you load.
 
Back
Top Bottom