Rules for displaying antiques?

shelley1958

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a Tower 1860 musket that's been in our family since the 1880's. Can I legally display it on the wall above my fireplace? What rules apply here? Also any experts on the Tower 1860 musket? My 2nd Great grandfather had it on the farm in Brooke township Ontario as early as the 1880's we believe. Since then it has been handed down from generation to generation.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't put it above the fireplace it will dry the stock out and it may start cracking. antique only need to be unloaded

An individual may store, display or transport an antique firearm only if it is unloaded.
 
antique only need to be unloaded

An individual may store, display or transport an antique firearm only if it is unloaded.

that is not correct ; an antique must be stored or displayed the same as any other non restricted firearm. The basic intent of the law is that a person cannot pick up the gun, load it and shoot it, In theorey that is what a trigger lock is supposed to do but a couple of alternatives would be to secure the gun with a U bolt around the wrist or similar so that the gun could not be removed from the wall. Alternately you could removed the firing pin (and store it) or remove the mainspring, both of which would render the gun more secure than a trigger lock which can be popped off with a screw driver ( speaking from experience)

cheers mooncoon
 
I'm prepared to be wrong. What I'm basing this on, and hopefully reading correctly is:

Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209)

Antique Firearms
14 (1) An individual may store, display or transport an antique firearm only if it is unloaded.

(2) An individual may transport an antique firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the antique firearm, is securely locked.

(3) An individual may transport an antique firearm that is a handgun only if it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation.
 
Interpretation

1 The definitions in this section apply in these Regulations.

Act means the Firearms Act. (Loi)


muzzle-loading firearm does not include a handgun. (arme à feu à chargement par la bouche)

non-restricted firearm means a firearm that is neither a prohibited firearm nor a restricted firearm. (arme à feu sans restrictions)
 
If you are saying that antique status firearms must follow both the antique and non-restricted rules, then I disagree.

2.1.(5) Sections 5 to 13 do not apply to antique firearms.


The quote you provided seems to affect whether a firearm is a handgun or not. Not (directly) whether it is an antique or not.

Once again, I allow that I may be wrong. The rules are complex and interact with each other.
 
that is not correct ; an antique must be stored or displayed the same as any other non restricted firearm. The basic intent of the law is that a person cannot pick up the gun, load it and shoot it, In theorey that is what a trigger lock is supposed to do but a couple of alternatives would be to secure the gun with a U bolt around the wrist or similar so that the gun could not be removed from the wall. Alternately you could removed the firing pin (and store it) or remove the mainspring, both of which would render the gun more secure than a trigger lock which can be popped off with a screw driver ( speaking from experience)

cheers mooncoon

the bottom part of my post is a direct quote from the RCMP website
 

you will note that if an antique is being transported, the rules are identical to those of a non antique firearm with the exception of the need for licenses and in the case of an antique handgun, you do not need an ATT. My suspicion is that if you dug through the actual written law rather than the short form on the RCMP web page, you would find display and storage of antiques would be the same as for non restricted. In my experience, the individual RCMP officers as a group are sufficiently unknowledgeable about the laws, you would be prudent to display the antiques the same as non restricted guns. The summaries on the RCMP website in the past have been incomplete relative to the written law and I suspect it may the case in the website summary you posted


cheers mooncoon
 
The only legal requirement for storing an antique is that it be unloaded. So, yes you can.

Regardless of what the law may say I personally would never leave a functioning gun antique or not unsecured laying around in my house. I have an antique shotgun above my fireplace with the firing pin removed and a trigger lock on it. Just use your judgement on whats ok in your house
 
THANKS ,, sigp2101 ,,,, this is from the horse's mouth & all that we need . I get tired of all the opinions that are not correct .

Please read what others have said here. Anything that comes from the horsemen especially from the horse’s mouth is only their opinion. Look at what the law states.
 
I use my antique Webley Mk1** 455 like a NR at my Ontario farm and on my land in Québec.

I do absolutely transport them exactly the same way i do for a restricted.

They are trigger locked anytimes i am not shooting them or when they are out of the safe.
I would not display antique handguns no more i would restricteds.
 
Last edited:
If you are saying that antique status firearms must follow both the antique and non-restricted rules, then I disagree.

2.1.(5) Sections 5 to 13 do not apply to antique firearms.


The quote you provided seems to affect whether a firearm is a handgun or not. Not (directly) whether it is an antique or not.

Once again, I allow that I may be wrong. The rules are complex and interact with each other.
I supect you are right there, thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom