How often do you shoot your antiques

rjf1963

Regular
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
259   0   0
Location
Fraser Valley BC
How often do you shoot your antique rifles, handguns, shotguns etc Some guys fear shooting these guns I personally have shot around 1200 rounds in the last year out of my favourite S&W 44 Russian DA Revolver, I think it is because I love reloading
 
All the antiques I own are shooters, I don't collect ones that are just for display. Some guns I only shoot occasionally since they are a bit more frail or I don't have spare parts, but stuff like my Sniders and the Martini Henry I shoot without worrying about it they are pretty robust guns.
 
Not a designated antique, but this 120+ year old is going 5-stand shooting today. 12 ga. 2 3/4" chambers Edgar Roberts, Birmingham. All my vintage and antique guns get their turn throughout the year. If its safe to shoot, then I will shoot it.
AzdPTTl.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have a really nice first year of production S&W 44 Russian revolver that I’ve been planning on reloading for but other things have got in the way. I do have some Starline 44 Russian brass and bullets from Jethunter for it so I should get my act together. Op, are you reloading smokeless or BP for that 44 Russian?

I’m presently gathering components to reload for my 1873 11mm French revolver so hopefully shooting both shortly.
 
I bring one of my Webley revolvers every week to the range. It gets only 6-12 rds fired but it should be shot some regularly. I believe if I don't shoot them they will think there old and start rusting up or stop working. I do it to keep them alive LOL.

Cheers
Moe
 
I shoot an original shotgun at some of the rendezvous and an original rifle occasionally. I would shoot the rifle(s) more on trail walks except they are so damn heavy. I have an original over under pistol that I shoot on some of the pistol trails at rendezvous. The rifling sort of wanders down the inside but suprisingly, the gun is semi accurate and I hit at least a few of the targets

cheers mooncoon
 
Shot my M1983 RR today.
Chronied just over 600 fps for a 200 grain projectile in front of 17 grains of Goex fffg. Those 44 Russian cases from Starline don't hold much.
 
Constantly. Just have too many so some get used more than others. Like above, mine are all shooter grade, so shot they get :)

The only one I haven't had out at all is a 7mm pinfire revolver I just picked up on the EE as a challenge to get runnin'. Just give some time on that one, I'm ticking off the other projects and it's down on the list.
 
I have a really nice first year of production S&W 44 Russian revolver that I’ve been planning on reloading for but other things have got in the way. I do have some Starline 44 Russian brass and bullets from Jethunter for it so I should get my act together. Op, are you reloading smokeless or BP for that 44 Russian?

I’m presently gathering components to reload for my 1873 11mm French revolver so hopefully shooting both shortly.

I am using smokeless Trailboss powder as are many antique reloaders are using the same, PM me and I can give you more details
 
Not often enough, time to sell I suppose. Busy with the kids, and when I get out I shoot the simple stuff, no reloading or stringent cleaning, black powders a bi@tch. Simple mans opinion.
 
Here's one that does get used, a Best-quality double-barrelled 12-bore early centrefire gun by Charles William Lancaster of London, made in 1864 for Sir Thales Pease KCB. In its day, at 65 guineas, it was one of the most expensive sporting guns by any of the London makers.
SdhBPn4.jpg
 
Here's one that does get used, a Best-quality double-barrelled 12-bore early centrefire gun by Charles William Lancaster of London, made in 1864 for Sir Thales Pease KCB. In its day, at 65 guineas, it was one of the most expensive sporting guns by any of the London makers.
SdhBPn4.jpg

And still putting supper in the pot! ha.. ain't nuthin like a meal of fresh ruffie's
 
Shot my M1983 RR today.
Chronied just over 600 fps for a 200 grain projectile in front of 17 grains of Goex fffg. Those 44 Russian cases from Starline don't hold much.

Unique; around 4 - 4.5 ought to replicate that power level...+ 180 or so FPS.
My findings anyhow
 
Here's one that does get used, a Best-quality double-barrelled 12-bore early centrefire gun by Charles William Lancaster of London, made in 1864 for Sir Thales Pease KCB. In its day, at 65 guineas, it was one of the most expensive sporting guns by any of the London makers.
love it, Pinfire.
 
all the time, my main shooters: .455 cal revolver, 12 gauge double, 43 Mauser Carbine and full length military, and a 25-20 pump. all BP or TB loads .....Love em!
 
Back
Top Bottom