Martini in 303 - SMLE rear sight

tree mugger

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Location
Alberta
I came across a 303 Martini that appears to have at least an SMLE rear sight (and barrel?).

I cannot find anything on this type of conversion.

I do not have this firearm, so I do not have any close up pics of markings.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for info on Marini-Henry 303 conversions?
 
An SMLE barrel is easily fitted to a Martini receiver. They have the same thread and shank length and will quite often index properly, or close enough to adjust with a breeching washer. Cut new extractor slots, confirm headspace and adjust the chamber as necessary and Bob's your uncle.
To the best of my knowledge, it would not be a military conversion - especially with the SMLE rear sight.
 
You learn something every day. I didn’t know threads on SMLE and the Martini where the same. I have a shot out Martini and a few good SMLE barrels. Thanks for putting that idea in my head. So now I just have to remove a couple of barrels and install one. I paid a $100 for it figuring the action was worth that. Once I get another #1 rebuilt I now know my next project. Not surprised someone has already done the conversion. I just figured more work would be involved in fitting a SMLE barrel.
 
Hey Snider shooter,

Just to put another idea into your head.

The threads on a Snider barrel will also screw right into that shot out Martini of yours. Just needs notches for the extractor.
If the your Martini is in 577/450, the cartridge will feed down the loading ramp in the block, no problem.
No changes needed to the extractor.
If you reload for the Snider using shotgun hulls, no need for rechambering, just cut them to length.
 
What I have is a bubba martini 303. I already have a few Sniders so I am more interested in having a Martini in 303 British. I have a few barreled actions that have the receivers drilled. I have a couple with the barrels cut so one of them could be put to use. I am currently rebuilding Lee Enfields I have been buying some parts guns.
 
QUOTE>>>>>Just to put another idea into your head. The threads on a Snider barrel will also screw right into that shot out Martini of yours. Just needs notches for the extractor. If the your Martini is in 577/450, the cartridge will feed down the loading ramp in the block, no problem.
No changes needed to the extractor. If you reload for the Snider using shotgun hulls, no need for rechambering, just cut them to length.<<<<<ENDQUOTE

Thanks Simon, Thanks a Lot! Just what I need. Another thought in my head. Who wants a .577 2" in a Martini-Henry anyway?????

ME, that's who. I missed out on one at Acurracy Plus a few years ago & am still kicking myself!!!!!

Mind you, that one was engraved, apparently for a maharajah, and beautifully cased with accessories.

Guess it's time to start re-reading some Jim Corbett, or watch Zulu for the umpteenth time!
 
Here's my Martini .303 project.
My chum who did the work said that it was very easy to fit up the SMLE barrel to it.
The barrel is a new South African one that still has the original plastic dip on it.
The action is a Westley Richards and all the innards drop out the bottom in a self contained unit like the BSA cadets.
I'm cobbling together a stock and will hopefully make a proper one with my duplicator.
LB2Xps6.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom