BP Revolver size

DRD

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
Ab.
It's time to get a BP revolver. Not many shops have stock so it's hard to handle different types. Reason I ask is I looked at one Pietta Colt and the grip was pretty small. I have fat mechanic hands so looking for something that will be more comfortable to shoot. Are the Remington clones bigger?
 
For a closed frame revolver the Rogers & Spencer is great for beefier hands but they are hard to find. Remingtons are a decent size but you pinky may have to be under the grip.
 
There's a Ruger old army on the EE right now definitly bigger than a Colt 36 navy Also if you want big I believe the Colt Dragoon 44 is pretty big .
 
For a closed frame revolver the Rogers & Spencer is great for beefier hands but they are hard to find. Remingtons are a decent size but you pinky may have to be under the grip.
I have very large hands, with both the Pietta and Uberti Colt 1851s I have to hold them with my pinky under the grip but it is surprisingly comfortable.
The Rogers & Spencer is more comfortable but is still a tight fit. I have been looking for another R&S every day for over three years now and so far no joy.
There is a really nice CGNer that has a couple 1851s for sale on the EE, I heard that he is reasonable to deal with ;)!
 
If you get an opportunity, try an 1860 Army model revolver. Grips on the Pietta Colt 1860 Army model, are longer and a bit wider, than their Navy counterparts. May fit your hand, better. Another option: Pietta grips/frames, are interchangeable. So, if you prefer to stick with say, the Colt 1851 model...you can simply swap out one set, for the other. You can order grips/frames direct, from: Numrich Arms. Or, Taylor's.
 
Most all of the Colt designs have small grips - it's the time they were made - smaller people had smaller hands.

My first choice, after picking up and handling at least twenty, was the Rogers & Spencer. It might lack the sheer grace and style of the Colts - nothing comes near, IMO - but it fitted my hands well enough for me to keep it for almost thirty years. The Pietta version of the Remington New Model Army of 1858 can sometimes be found with slightly larger grips, and that, too is a keeper.

The Ruger Old Army, out of production since 2008, has the same miniscule grips of the Colts and its centre-fire brethren - the Blackhawks. Mine has Starrett wooden ambi grips to make it fit my hand better.

You really need to get to your nearest dealer who has a good selection of BP revolvers- not body, including me, can really tell you how they feel in your hand.
 
Most all of the Colt designs have small grips - it's the time they were made - smaller people had smaller hands.

My first choice, after picking up and handling at least twenty, was the Rogers & Spencer. It might lack the sheer grace and style of the Colts - nothing comes near, IMO - but it fitted my hands well enough for me to keep it for almost thirty years. The Pietta version of the Remington New Model Army of 1858 can sometimes be found with slightly larger grips, and that, too is a keeper.

The Ruger Old Army, out of production since 2008, has the same miniscule grips of the Colts and its centre-fire brethren - the Blackhawks. Mine has Starrett wooden ambi grips to make it fit my hand better.

You really need to get to your nearest dealer who has a good selection of BP revolvers- not body, including me, can really tell you how they feel in your hand.

I’ve been keeping my eyes open for one of these for quite awhile now, original or repo.
 
Bush1: Check out Marstar's site. Pietta-made versions of the Remington New Model Army(1858), are available there.
 
Not sure how easy it would be to find a Pietta copy of, but I'll be different & say find a Starr single action revolver. If your mitts get choked up on that grip, you might be a Yeti? In that case look at a Walker or Dragoon...
 
You have to realize these revolvers are made to original spec's or try their best to, most cases they are. It is what it is. You become used to the grips. Go for one that appeals to you. There were big men with big hands back in the day also.
 
Not sure how easy it would be to find a Pietta copy of, but I'll be different & say find a Starr single action revolver. If your mitts get choked up on that grip, you might be a Yeti? In that case look at a Walker or Dragoon...

Not sure, but I've a hunch that Walkers grips aren't much bigger than a 51 Navy. Everything else is bigger mind you.
 
Not sure, but I've a hunch that Walkers grips aren't much bigger than a 51 Navy. Everything else is bigger mind you.

Can't argue with that. Been along time since I played with either one. Just remember the heft of the Walker replica & kinda went on that memory?
 
Ended up finding a deal on Pietta Colt navy civilian in .44 that I couldn't pass up. Grips a little small but after a few cylinders I never even noticed it. Tons of fun, should have bought one sooner. Need to fab up a loading stand, PIA to load it my only gripe.
 
Rodgers&Spencer or ROA...and there are over sized grips available for the Ruger...I got one laying around because it was too big for my hands. Like S&W grips, wood longer and larger than frame.
CG
 
Something you might want to think about to is how you are holding the grip.

Most people shoot BP and SA revolvers incorrectly by trying to get all three fingers on the grip. The proper method is two on the grip and pinky resting under. This allows the gun to naturally roll in the hand under recoil.

Bisley grips allows for a three finger hold, but are uncommon in BP revolver.
 
Find and try a 1860 Colt, the grip is bigger than the 1851 Colt and not as cramped as the 1858 Remington.

I've got both and find that the grip on my Uberti 58's is about the same size but there's a touch more reach to the trigger than the 51 or the 1860.

Depending on how they are made I take either L or XL gloves. So not smaller size hands either.

There's a lot to be said for putting the pinky under the butt of the grips. I found if I tried to crowd up the backstrap and find a spot for my pinky on the front strap of the grips that the gun tended to shoot strongly to the side.... left I seem to recall.... not really sure though. Once I learned to landmark my pinky under the butt of the grip scales the hand naturally fell into the proper position and with just a nice neutral hold it shot dead on POA for windage. This being the case for each of the 5 BP revolvers I've got.

I use mine primarily for cowboy action matches. But it's not unknown to take one out for some fun on a day of plinking either.
 
Back
Top Bottom