Bringing an antique rifle in from the US

bush1

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
I'm well aware of the ITAR rules on importing a rifle by getting someone like Prophet or Irunguns to do the import but what about an antique rifle.

The rifle in question located in the the US doesn't need to be sold through a FFL as its an antique and if it's clearly an antique in accordance to Canadian laws, it should be ok to just bring it across or doesn't it?

Please no speculators or guessers, just need the straight answer from someone who has done it or knows the drill.
 
Last edited:
One question to consider is whether you can possess said antique firearm IN THE USA.
Once at the border, not likely a problem.
I know that is not an answer, it is a consideration - if you are a non-resident alien.
 
One question to consider is whether you can possess said antique firearm IN THE USA.
Once at the border, not likely a problem.
I know that is not an answer, it is a consideration - if you are a non-resident alien.

Good point. The seller could mail it to me at my home address and that would be fine but if he mailed it to my post box at the US border, I would then be in possession of it in the US. I’ll have to check on that. Thanks.
 
IMA mailed 2 nepal martinis to me as they are antiques ,that was in June last year .they went through canada customs and to my post office ,was no export paper work other than the customs declaration attached to box ,.
just the usual fee for opening box and tax ,no other fees
 
I have bought several items from Rock Island, both pistol and long gun. The antiques come through customs with no problem. The only hang up was when the shipper forgot to declare value. Be sure it meets criteria as antique for export. Front loaders are fine, but centre fire rifles must be single shot and greater than 8.5mm.
 
I've driven both an antique handgun and a long gun across from my shipping box. With the handgun I brought enough documentation to satisfy CBSA of it's antique status and with the long gun I just produced my RPAL as it was simpler to do that than prove it's status. Have good documents to show value for taxes as well.
 
I have had flintlock rifles and 1873 Trapdoor Springfield's mailed to me in Vancouver without any problems.

I also sent a copy of the Canadian regulations that define the weapon is an antique for the shipper to include in the packaging.
 
Straight up it was 100% legal in the past but I haven’t kept up on exporting antiques from the USA. Calling a border is very unlikely to get you a correct answer. Calling department of state will.
 
Straight up it was 100% legal in the past but I haven’t kept up on exporting antiques from the USA. Calling a border is very unlikely to get you a correct answer. Calling department of state will.

Ya, your right. I've sent an inquiry to ATF and waiting for their reply. Will post when received.
 
I contacted US state dept regarding me purchasing a flintlock in the US and bring back to Canada myself. According to them, there is no problem, because a black powder firearm is not a firearm in the United states according to there rules
 
AS long as it's an antique or non-firearm in the USA, there is no ITAR or export restrictions.

Bringing an antique or even a non-restricted back to Canada is no problem, just have an invoice and your PAL when you cross into Canada.

Check this out: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...porting-Antique-pistol-from-the-United-States

I've imported a few dozen antiques from the USA and had no issues.

The firearm must be antique in both countries. USPS will not carry firearms by mail (unlike Canada) - BUT they will allow antiques to be shipped because they are not classified as firearms. Non-firearms do not fall into ITAR, do not require export license or approval. Not all USPS postal outlets know the regulations, especially some of the smaller contract outlets. Seller/shipper should try to go to a regular USPS post office and then should have no issues.

The sender should state "pre-1897 antique" on the US customs declaration form when describing the goods being shipped.

Email your Canadian documentation from the CFO to the sender so he can print it and put it inside the parcel where it will be found if the box is opened for inspection.

If you don't have documentation you can make your own by writing a "To Whom It May Concern" letter with make, model, serial number, cartridge, barrel length, and date of manufacture, and stating that the piece has antique status in US and Canada and is therefore not classed as a firearm in either country and therefore not subject to registration or licensing. Sign it and include your name and address, ph#. Get the sender to print this letter and put it in the box where it will be found if opened for inspection.

One time, a parcel got stopped on the US side and was sent to BATF for inspection, and after 2-3 days it went back into the mail stream and carried on. I wouldn't have known it happened except for the entries on the tracker. There was no issue and arrived in good time.

Several of the parcels were held for a few days by CBSA for inspection and I suspect to confirm antique status, but arrived without serious incident or delay. One time the CBSA held a webley revolver and asked me to provide the sales invoice from the seller for calculating GST. They sent a letter, I sent the invoice back to them by fax as per their instructions, and the parcel showed up in the mail a week later. So it's probably a good idea to get the sender to put a copy of the sales invoice in the box as well. Bureaucrats like documentation.
 
I contacted US state dept regarding me purchasing a flintlock in the US and bring back to Canada myself. According to them, there is no problem, because a black powder firearm is not a firearm in the United states according to there rules

Check local state laws where you purchase the muzzle loader from as they may differ from the exempt Federal Laws for muzzeloaders. They may be classed as a firearm in that state. Also check with all state laws that you travel through as you may be in violation of state laws while transporting a firearm including muzzleloaders. As Americans we have trouble keeping up with all of this, you as a Canadian even more so.
 
Back
Top Bottom