So now how do I go about getting an an antique status letter. Do I need to bring the firearm to a verifier? The RCMP page isn’t very helpful.
All S&W Model 3 top break revolvers were manufactured before 1898.
Why do you want a letter?
There is no legal requirement, nor reason to obtain one.
If the revolver is currently (improperly) registered, all you have to do is phone the number and ask them to de register it.
Well, sort of, I haven't bought an antique in two years or a bit more so things might have changed, but when I was looking on GB or other sites in the U.S. I wanted to know for sure if the gun was indeed an antique, they would look at pics or actually go on the site and help me identify if it was and sent me the letter, they Didn't know if I bought or not some I did, some I did not win the bid, plus they do not know how many I resold. So I do not see a downside to getting a letter and it could help if stopped by a law officer to have a government issued document to prove it an antique,,, but,,, you do not need one.Exactly that. If the OP does go ahead and get an RCMP antique status letter, he is in fact "registering" it with the RCMP and for why?
Nice looking S&W there OP. I have a nice 3 digit serial number S&W Russian as well. Looking to reload for it soon.
Well, sort of, I haven't bought an antique in two years or a bit more so things might have changed, but when I was looking on GB or other sites in the U.S. I wanted to know for sure if the gun was indeed an antique, they would look at pics or actually go on the site and help me identify if it was and sent me the letter, they Didn't know if I bought or not some I did, some I did not win the bid, plus they do not know how many I resold. So I do not see a downside to getting a letter and it could help if stopped by a law officer to have a government issued document to prove it an antique,,, but,,, you do not need one.
I’d just like some way of explaining to an uninformed LEO why I’m allowed to have a revolver in the bush that doesn’t require me temporarily losing property or getting a free night stay at her majesty’s finest lol. I know that it’s an antique, I’m not so sure the average beat cop or wildlife officer would. I am thinking about getting the Smith and Wesson historic letter just for my own benefit.
That's something that you should do. I have one for mine and came from the S&W historical section. I think it was Roy Jinks that signed it and gave the date of manufacture and that mine came with red mottled hard rubber grips that were only issued in the first year of manufacture. The letter has the S/N and date of manufacture so that tells the whole story about antique status.



























