Brass shotshell loads

Noobie81

Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Location
Ontario
I just started loading brass shotshells for my English sxs hammer gun. So far I have loaded 68 grains of GOEX FFG topped with a 1/4" circle fly nitro wad followed by a 1/2" circle fly vegetable fiber wad followed by 1 oz of 7.5 shot and and overshot card. I am going to pattern the load this week, the right is choked IC right barrel and M left. I am looking to get a nice even pattern using these components. Most of my shooting will be on pigeons and crows on the farm, I would like to get clean kills out to 40 yards am I on the right track? Any tips would be appreciated. The brass shotshells are 2 1/2" magtech that I modified to take 209 primers.
 
That's similar to the load I use though I use an ounce and a quarter with the same scoop for powder. Can't remember exactly how much it comes to.
I'm also still using large pistol primers and always found they worked fine.

What are you using for over shot? Wax didn't hold for meunles I patched the card to snug it up. Waterglass and some glues crack over time. Using gorilla glue type stuff now and it needs to be scraped out after shooting.
 
I tried wax and it didn't work for me either, just tried my kid's Elmer's glue and I will see how that goes. I have a powder scoop in the mail from eBay but in the meantime I am using a trimmed plastic shotshell to scoop shot and powder.
 
Do you lube your cushion wads? This first batch I loaded I didn't bother but I would definitely do it if it would provide an advantage.
 
Noobie81, this would be an excellent load in your gun, assuming it is a 12 guage with the standard English 2 1/2" chambers. These game guns were intended for use with 1 1/16 oz of shot, proofed at 1 1/8 oz maximum. This was for use when the gun was new, 120+ years later 1 oz loads are prudent and will be very effective, I use them regularly for hunting. 11 gauge wads will give you a tighter fit in your brass cases than 12 gauge wads and are the proper ones for this use. They will also give you a tighter gas seal going down the barrel which translates into higher and more consistent velocitiy. Don't forget, you need to thoroughly clean your cases as well as your gun after shooting black powder to prevent corrosion. Good hunting.
 
Thanks Ashcroft, I did get the 11 gauge wads and they fit perfectly. I hope these loads work well I am looking forward to hunting with them.
 
Your black powder load is quite light in powder, but should be OK.
Only patterning will tell if your Modified barrel with this load, will provide a pattern that is adequately dense at 40 yards.
It will likely be deadly at 30 yards.
 
One thing I do is put an .035 overshot wad on top of my fibre wad to prevent any shot from getting imbedded in the fibre wad.
I usually run about 80 grains of FFG and 1 1/8 oz of #6 or 7 1/2 lead for pheasants and sharptails, but have gone as high as 90 grains and #5's if there is big wind.
I use silicone sealant for sealing the overshot wad on top of the shot and have never had one come loose in my belt!:cool:
Cat
Ssp4LjM.jpg
 
I sometimes lube the cushion wad if I'm going to be shooting them soon. It reduces the buildup of fouling and makes cleaning easier.
Mostly I don't because it might be months before using the ammo and I don't want to contaminate the powder if it seeps out of the wad.

I've sometimes used a thin card over the cushion too. It's one of the things I really should test the patterns.
 
I've sometimes used a thin card over the cushion too. It's one of the things I really should test the patterns.

Dead birds and skeet clays are all I have ever shot with this gun and I have owned it for about 20 years or more, I never did pattern it!
I have shot some ATA trap with it as well, if you get onto them fast it does alright even though it is CYL/CYL!:d
I CAN tell you that my hand loads and brass cases recoil less that the Gamebore black powder factory stuff, which is interesting.
Cat
 
That's similar to the load I use though I use an ounce and a quarter with the same scoop for powder. Can't remember exactly how much it comes to.
I'm also still using large pistol primers and always found they worked fine.

What are you using for over shot? Wax didn't hold for meunles I patched the card to snug it up. Waterglass and some glues crack over time. Using gorilla glue type stuff now and it needs to be scraped out after shooting.

Maybe all here knew this, wouldn't surprise me. One of the recent 'Handloader' magazines had a great article on 2 1/2" English shotguns. The writer ( whom I know has to be member on here... I'm watching for his style...I know you are out there Terry) mentioned that English shotguns are set up for square loads... shot and powder are the same volume.
Which is dead simple and easy for reloading
Reminds me, I've got 2 'middling to low' English doubles downstairs to rehome.
 
Back
Top Bottom