Value of Webley WG Army question

HeadDamage

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Location
Calgary
Turns out someone I know has a Webley WG Army with a four digit serial number, church steeple cylinder, 6" barrel, birds head grip, and the 1892 and on cylinder retention. I'd say it was in very good original condition with about 70% of the original finish but the grips are not original. I believe it was made in 1892 or 1993 based on the features it has.

I've said it is likely worth about $3500 and I'd like a sanity check on this value, I'm I right or out to lunch?

Thanks.
 
A bit high in my opinion. Just a bit. That gun with good original grips at 90% it should get that easily. For now. I've heard rumors that the new gun laws will remove antique status. Just rumor, but....if so the value goes down about half.
 
Apparently there is a set of replacement grips incoming. Would a professional refinishing/referbishment help or hurt the value?

If the original finish is at 70% you will without a doubt hurt the value by messing with it. Steaming, boiling (in the correct manner) and gentle steel wooling followed by a several day bath of kerosene should be enough to stop any active rust and help preserve that original finish. This is something you can do yourself with a bit of research and effort. As to "refinishing" or "refurbishing", there are very few people in the country capable of correctly doing such work and they do not come cheaply.
 
It has not been shaved. Here are a couple of photos:

49837809303_20b61ff780_c.jpg
[/url]Untitled by A H, on Flickr[/IMG]

49838654092_3b98c4e8e3_c.jpg
[/url]Untitled - Copy by A H, on Flickr[/IMG]

Believe it or not the owner didn't know that it is an antique and it is currently registered though he is now taking steps to correct this. I'm trying to give him a good idea of the value and the pros and cons of restoring it vs leaving as is. My suggestion has been to leave as is other than fitting replacement grips though the ones on it look to have some sort of story behind them so I'd keep them set aside if it where me.

I wonder if the scratches on the right side are from a ring or something? It appears to have been carried in a holster a fair amount in the past and I don't think the scratches are deliberate, more an artifact of it's use I suspect.
 
Front sight looks original. How is the bore and cylinder lock up?
Is it a 476? What does it say on top ?
 
I haven't seen it in person but apparently the bore is nice and bright and the lock up is good. Not sure if there is a WG etc... on the top strap.
 
Not a bad looking piece. Definitely don’t mess with the finish. It’s not bad at all. With a good bore and good mechanics (which most have, cause they got carried a lot more than shot) it would likely fetch $3000 or so. The WG’s are really popular and fairly rare. It won’t be worth that much until it gets it’s antique status.
 
Back
Top Bottom