1874 Sharps repo questions

LouF

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I am a noob to these rifles.Have many years experience with reloading and other firearms. I love the look and relaxing "single fire" of the "ole timey"rifles due to my limited black powder rifle shooting.First I am looking at 1874 Sharps made by Pedersoli and sold by Marstar.How is the reputation (quality of build/service) of both afore mentioned parties if you can tell me.Second can you use modern powder with these rifles?I load .45/70 for modern lever action rifles and am pretty sure the new repo's can handle modern powders.If you were to buy a Pedersoli for target shooting /competition and have it look good for range cudo's which model would you purchase?These aren't cheap and Marstar isn't a showroom type of dealer so I can't look at my rifle before I buy it.Any info would be appreciated !
 
Last edited:
Yes you can run smokeless in reproduction rifles. Pressure is key. I ran smokeless in other falling block and rolling block rifles but run BP in my 1874 50/70.
Having gone through a variety of single shot actions over the years I settled on falling blocks myself so an 1874 Sharps is a good bet imo.
What model is entirely up to you. What you prefer and intended purpose will dictate that.
 
For my money, literally, I go for the CSharps 1875 model. It looks so much sleeker to my astigmatic eyes.
I have two .30/30's and a .38/56, all very nice shooters.
Some of the older Italian 1875's had a slow twist in .45/70, about 1 in 20.
They worked fine for factory 405 gr. ammunition, but wouldn't handle the 500 gr. bullets used in long range shooting.
Something you may want to check out.
 
image.jpg


CSharps 1875 rifles are nice here is one I picked up a while back
 
Been told the pedersolis can keep up on the targets with the c sharps and shilohs so they’re good shooters nothing wrong with them. Down the road ill likely get a c sharps or shiloh but nothing wrong with dabbling with a pedersoli
 
I have a Pedersoli right now. They have match grade barrels, but fall behind the Shiloh and C.Sharps in the fit & finish. Unfortunately for us Canadians, the US makers are quite a bit more expensive with the exchange and import. I will be getting a Shiloh once I have the ability to, as they are beautiful and I can custom order whatever I want.

Don't be afraid of the Pedersoli rifles. They really are wonderful guns with lots of options available. Get the 45-70 but make sure you load to trapdoor levels as it will NOT withstand Marlin and Ruger No.1 pressures (as per Pedersoli). I only load black powder in mine though and it is most accurate that way.

PM me if you want more info or have any questions! More than happy to help.
 
Buddy has a Pederosoli Quigly in 45-70 . He put an aftermarket vernier on it and a different front sight . I've seen him hit a 2 foot diameter rock at 600 yards with it 5 shots out of 5 and know he took a black bear with it at 200 yards . He uses black powder . I believe it will shoot much better than the 2 foot rock but to me that's still pretty good . He puts a slip on recoil pad on when bench shooting but not for hunting . The fit and finish on his is really nice .
 
I have the Pedersoli rolling block, they will shoot if you do your part, and with smokeless powder, the Accurate Arms #6 reloading manual has loading data for 19K PSI, lower then the normal trap door loads, and that's where I found my accuracy with AA5744 powder, with 450, 500 and 535 grain bullets. Pedersoli owners manuals show 29K PSI max, and at those pressures your going to want more then a slip on recoil pad to tame the recoil


95568518_2280187632288821_7768797631676940288_n.jpg


5 shot group at 200 yards with the long range tang sights........
 
Back
Top Bottom