Colt SAA antique??? or not???

toutatis

Member
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Thank you to google translate:
I recently bought a Colt SAA 1888 first generation restricted (registered in 45 LC), without indication of size on frame and barrel.
The cylinder is in 455 Webley.
I called the firearms service to have the caliber and classification corrected, but the officer told me that since 2014, she no longer accepts the change of class for 45 LC revolvers.
Truth or lie, possible remedies,dispute?

Thanks for attention.

PS: some time ago I bought a SW in 44 american which was restricted, the change of class was done automatically with the change of owner
 
I know the Queen's Cowboys stopped issuing antique status to revolvers that were formally restricted when a barrel and cylinder were swapped out. I think you are pretty much relegated to the firearm remaining a restricted unless you can prove your Colt was originally a .455/ .476 Webley or a cartridge not on the list that defaults it back to restricted or prohibited. Contacting Colt archives can shed some light on what & where your revolver was sold to. In my opinion: You will have a hard time changing their minds without solid proof that it should not be on the restricted list.
 
From what I remember this is true.

If you order a Colt letter it should tell you the original configuration and calibre it was chambered for.

If you have the letter it may assist your cause but I would not be hopeful.

Edit: Looks like Dances beat me to it
 
This is true except if the original caliber was not on the list. I did pass on beautifull one. No purchase because of that.:(
 
Thank you for reply ... I do not regret the purchase, it is in VG+ condition with a beautiful tobacco color, but I wanted a pair of antique with one that I had (and the added value is not negligible)
Take care of yourself,you are the only one doing this.
 
I find myself wondering what they will do about all of the currently unregistered guns that were either made as antiques or modified to antiques and removed from the registry. My suspicion is that the RCMP will simply say that they have decided that they are now modern but we won't prosecute you because the status was legal at the time. Then follow that up by saying you must now register them or in the case of guns originally made as prohibs, simply say they must be destroyed

cheers mooncoon
 
From what I remember this is true.

If you order a Colt letter it should tell you the original configuration and calibre it was chambered for.

If you have the letter it may assist your cause but I would not be hopeful.

Edit: Looks like Dances beat me to it
A colt letter won't help in this case. The letters from colt list the caliber not cartridge
 
Back
Top Bottom