Canadian source for nipples and quality nipple wrenches

Brian James

Regular
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Ontario
Hi CGNers

I have two questions, 1)is anyone one aware of a Canadian seller of nipples, something similar to the possible shop in the US that stocks a wide variety of nipple sizes?

2) does any know of a CDN making quality nipple wrenches for cap n ball revolvers and single shot pistols. Having bent and broken nipple wrenches I’d love to find a quality tool vs disposable ones.

Thanks

Brian
 
Great timing for your 2 questions. I’m looking for the same items for my incoming 1851 Pietta Navy in 36 cal. Ordered from Wolverine 3 weeks ago so by Ontario standards the transfer will be completed in another 5 weeks...:mad:

I want a set of SliXshot nipples and a decent nipple wrench as well. SliXprings won’t ship to Canada and I had better not have them ship to my US PO Box as they would be an ITAR item for sure.

Any Canadian dealers stock these?
 
I've made a couple out of O1 steel, the ones you buy do bend and suck a lot - the tool steel you can harden and not have that problem.
 
2) does any know of a CDN making quality nipple wrenches for cap n ball revolvers and single shot pistols. Having bent and broken nipple wrenches I’d love to find a quality tool vs disposable ones.

If you are bending or breaking nipple wrenches on guns where they screw in easily when clean, I think your problem is technique. The nipples are probably tight because of fouling while you were shooting. If the barrel(s) can be removed sit it breach down in a bucket of warm water for 10 minutes or so. Make sure there is water down the barrel as well. That softens the fouling and they should unscrew easily. If the barrel cannot be removed, plug the nipple and pour some water down the barrel and let sit for 10 minutes

cheers mooncoon
 
If you are bending or breaking nipple wrenches on guns where they screw in easily when clean, I think your problem is technique. The nipples are probably tight because of fouling while you were shooting. If the barrel(s) can be removed sit it breach down in a bucket of warm water for 10 minutes or so. Make sure there is water down the barrel as well. That softens the fouling and they should unscrew easily. If the barrel cannot be removed, plug the nipple and pour some water down the barrel and let sit for 10 minutes

cheers mooncoon

the cheap little wrenches are not particularly well made nor do they fit every nipple well, they do get mangled. also, they don't work on musket nipples - why I owuld up making one. :)

Aslo, I use a little teflon tape on nipples breech plugs etc - keeps the fouling out, keeps them easy to remove. :)
 
Thankfully I haven’t had trouble with fouling building up in guns I’m shooting to the point they get stuck. I’ve been using anti-seize, but Teflon tape would be much cleaner. The quality wrenches is to help with stuck nippples in antiques and routine cleaning post shooting, especially revolvers (Rogers and Spencer). Rather than a small t shape wrench I’d like something with a screw driver handle that is a little larger and longer. I’ve made one from a socket but it’s not terribly refined.

As for nipples, I like Treso nipples. Last night I was helping a friend with a Pedersoli Carleton Underhammer and he needs a new 1/4 by 28 nipple in any material and I couldn’t spot one in Canada. I can order from the US but I’m becoming more progressively more inclined to buy CDN when possible.

Brian
 
I can order from the US but I’m becoming more progressively more inclined to buy CDN when possible.

I was like that too, until I was unable to find anybody in Canada with the stuff that I wanted.

I ordered from Track of the Wolf for the 'hard to find' stuff.

They have the stuff and shipped quick (pre-pandemic).
 
They are available at Rustywood. That is where I got mine.

https://www.rustywood.ca/shop_home/slix-shot-nipples-pack-of-6/

I put in the new nipples and did not see much of a difference. So I put my Ruger parts back in and have 2 life times worth of spares now.:d:d

Thanks, I’ll check out Rusty for nipples but maybe I’ll wait and see if I have problems with the stock Pietta ones. I will use a small amount of the anti seize that we use on aircraft spark plugs and will look for a decent nipple wrench.
(already have a wench that’s a keeper),ha:
 
Back
Top Bottom