Which one should I keep ? CVA or TC

deckerhead

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Location
Kawartha Lakes
Here's the story....
Last boxing day sale at Cabellas I bought a new Thompson Center "Impact" 50 cal inline with fancy case and cheap scope (Simmons). I have not fired it yet but plan on dialing it in for this years deer hunt......now turns out last week due to a death in a friends family , I just inherited a new CVA "Wolf" with silver barrel , camo stock , fancy case and also a cheap scope ( Konus). I don't need two.
So my question to all you inline muzzleloader hunters out there......which one is better or which one should I keep ?
Pretty sure they are priced around the same.
 
New-in-box will be easier to sell, and the inheritance will have some emotional attachments (including on the part of family/friends of the departed) that would likely make it unwise to just flip that one.
 
Do you have a problem with keeping both of them?? Or do you need the cash??

No diss intended.

Never hurts to have two rifles that take the same components in the safe. Lots of folks do just that.

My suggestion is to keep them both, shoot them both and see which of them is the most ergonomically correct for you and shoots the best.

You've got little to lose in this situation, by keeping them both.
 
Do you have a problem with keeping both of them?? Or do you need the cash??

No diss intended.

Never hurts to have two rifles that take the same components in the safe. Lots of folks do just that.

My suggestion is to keep them both, shoot them both and see which of them is the most ergonomically correct for you and shoots the best.

You've got little to lose in this situation, by keeping them both.

No I dont have an issue keeping them both and its not about the money. Its simply above my needs to have an extra muzzleloader that I will most likely never fire. I already own a few flinters and cap locks and other antique black powder rifles . Just trying to get an opinion on both of these.
 
I would keep the TC. I got one of the first Encore's in the country and have been shooting it ever since and have shot it lots and still hits where pointed.

Only complaint is I broke the wood stock going on 3 years ago and 2 warranty depots and the second head Canadian sales manager and am still waiting for warranty. I get they don't make the wood anymore but come on 3 years to import a plastic set. I have fixed and pillar bedded the old stock and told them they will not be getting back when and if the new shows up. Boils down to don't expect warranty but by far they are some of the best shooting muzzloaders out there.

Brother shot a Wolf for a few years and it is perfectly serviceable and does the job. Powerbelts did strange things in the gun but they are crap IMO so not the guns problem. He has since switched to a Knight MK80 as the Wolf had some small issues.
Either will do the job required but it is your personal choice at days end
 
I own a CVA Wolf. Bought it new, and if I could do it again I'd buy the same gun. I know nothing about the TC, but when it comes to a hunting firearm, the Wolf feels comfortable carrying it from camp to my ground blind or tree stand. It is short enough walking through bush that it does not feel wrong (like some 30" barreled shotguns feel wrong carrying them through the bush).

I'd ask yourself - which feels "right" to you? Hold the gun at waist level, close your eyes, bring the gun up to shooting position and then open your eyes. Which gun is correct for you? Yes, scope / rings can be changed, but which feels "right"? Walk around the house/property with the guns. Which feels "right"? Put on your bulky coat/jacket/vest/ with your 3 layers of underwear. Again, hold gun at waist level, close your eyes, and quickly bring the gun up the shooting position. Which gun feels "right".

My $0.02 worth. Both firearms will take down a deer easily within 100 - 150 yards if you do your part.
 
Good advice....thanks gents. I'm a bigger guy and actually dont really like the feel or the mount on both these rifles....lol.
My only possible dislike so far is on the TC. Not a fan of the break open hood thingy or having to use a breach plug tool. The CVA is more user friendly for guys with big hands or if wearing gloves. Having said that they feel about the same weight , but the stock configuration and and adjustable LOP on the TC is way nicer.
 
right choice ..i have 2 T/C one in 7mm rem mag the other is the 50 cal. blackpowder and is barrel heavy ..tried all of the BP arms and was surprised of the CVA WOLF much better than the T/C IMPACT ..
 
Wow. Can't believe so many recommends to keep the CVA. I would keep the T/C, would be happy if I never saw a CVA again in my life.

Hi 8-ball. As someone who has never shot a T/C but own two CVA inline muzzleloaders (Wolf plus Firebolt) what am I missing? What bad experiences have you had with CVAs? I heard about CVA issues back in the late 1990s but I am not aware of any issues with anything in the last 20 or so years. Are T/C's worth a price premium? From CVA's website I know they offer the low end firearms (Wolf) to the "high end" firearms (Accura).

Thx
 
Back
Top Bottom