Best black powder load I've found for my 45-70 rolling block Updated!

flintyboom

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I posted this in the reloading forum, but I think it belongs here too.

So it's taken me burning about 2 1/2 lbs of powder to get to this point, but I think I've maxed out my accuracy potential with the 45-70 (with this bullet anyways).
This is with my Pedersoli rolling block 45-70 with the soule tang sight. Twist on the barrel is 1-18.
This load shoots sub-moa out to 450 yds so far. I hope to try it out to 1000yd this weekend or next.

The cases are Starline cases fireformed to this particular rifle. The flash hole is chamfered with a Lyman tool.
I do not size the cases prior to reloading. I deprime with a universal deprimer and clean the cases.
Primer is a CC1 200 large rifle, BR2 primer works just as well too, but costs more.
Powder charge is 67.5 grains by weight of Swiss 1.5 fg black powder.
The bullet I am using is .459 and cast from the Lyman 457125 mold, and weighs 522 grains when cast in a 20-1 lead/tin alloy.
Bullet is pan lubed with SPG.
Max overall length to allow the cartridge to chamber is 2.94", so my reloading length is 2.93" to have the bullet .010 from the rifling.
Wads in the cartridge are a .02 card wad over the powder and a .06 unlubed veg fiber wad on top of that.
I use a compression plug to compress the powder to the depth where the wads on top and the bullet brings the overall length to 2.93", I believe it is .587 to the top of the powder column.
The bullets are simply pushed into the cases by hand and seated on the wads.

I hope this can help someone figure out their gun.

Here are the last 2 groups shot with this load. Sub-moa for both at 300 and 420 yds.

Update I forgot to mention my cleaning process. I wipe between each shot with two damp patches, and give it time to dry while I check the shot in my scope and mark it down. The patches are dampened with 10-1 ratio of water/Ballistol.






 
Last edited:
Try the same thing. Just load up a cartridge that is extra long and keep seating it shorter and shorter till it will just chamber, then another .01. Then measure that depth and compress powder to make room for wads and bullet.
 
Thanks very much in the process of load development for my 45-70 collection , 1884 Springfield Trapdoor (antique), Remington Rolling Block (Pedersoli repro) and 1885 Winchester High Wall (Uberti repro)

Retreever
 
Thanks very much in the process of load development for my 45-70 collection , 1884 Springfield Trapdoor (antique), Remington Rolling Block (Pedersoli repro) and 1885 Winchester High Wall (Uberti repro)

Retreever

Great selections there. Myself I only own one antique 45-70. Actually a German black powder drilling 10x10x45-70 circa 1888. So I keep my loads at Trapdoor pressures and I think my tang sight is about 100 yards maximum range.
 
I forgot to mention my cleaning process between shots. I updated my post. I wipe with two damp patches between shots. I use 10-1 ratio water/Ballistol.
 
I have also used winter winter auto window wash as well with good results. A friend was mixing his with Ballistol but I have not tried that yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom