Seeking advise...best replicas revolver to learn bp shooting with

fljp2002

Regular
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
Moncton
Fellows

I am thinking of getting in bp revolver shooting but really have next to no knowledge other then a few utube videos I watched.

The look like a blast to shoot.

What caliber/model would you all recommend and why.


Also where to buy one would be appreciated

Thanks
 
Fljp2002: A good youtube info source is: duelist1954. Host Mike Beliveau features videos on most aspects of c&b shooting.....including how to select a first cap and ball revolver. Well worth a look. Where to buy? Site sponsor: Marstar, is a good place to start. Pietta c&b revolvers are good quality.
 
Last edited:
Well, Marstar is back. I wonder if the owner is going to be posting on here any time soon... my, I'm cheeky this morning.
They do sell interesting BP guns and kit, for really good prices I'll say.
Just watch the milsurp buys.
 
I would suggest buying a used gun to start, BP shooting isn't for everyone. You can frequently find used ones available here in the Exchange or on #######

Retreever
 
Might be a good idea to start BP with a single-shot pistol, for a faster load-shoot-load-again cycle as you're getting used to it, and only one charge that either did or didn't go off to have to think about. Reloading all the cylinders of a BP revolver takes quite awhile between shooting opportunities! Also, flashover in a BP revolver makes for a Bad Day so probably best to be sure of how this whole BP thing works first and then step up to a revolver.
 
I started with a Pedersoli Charles Moore Pedersoli percussion pistol and upgraded from there because I wanted an underhammer, but the Pedersolis are used by lots of competitive BP shooters.

Marstar besides what’s listed on their website can bring in anything from the Pedersoli catalog. I recently handled a Pedersoli Cook Underhammer and Continental Flintlock they imported for local shooters and I was impressed with the quality.

For a new cap n ball revolver id suggest Uberti for price point or Pedersoli Remington 1858 (either model) or Pietta Shooters model. The advice of buying used is sound especially for revolvers - theres. Few good ones in the EE right now.

Brian
 
If it was me I d go with a Ruger old model army in stainless steel if you can find one.Though you would have to find a used one as they are no longer made it would have a few advantages to make the learning curve a little easier .The old model army has the advantage of modern target sights and stainless steel makes clean up a little easier.Though not a hundred percent historically correct for a cap and ball gun it is a quality piece
 
Thanks all.

So far I am leaning towards 1858 remington replicas. I prefer the look of the look of the 1858 with the strap above the cylinder. Not sure if I will go with 36 or 44. I need to find someone in eastern NB who shoots these to give it a try.
 
The newer ones made by Pietta are a lot better than they used to be and are pretty much on par with Uberti. So if you can manage it, try to get one from the 2000's and up and you'll likely be satisfied with it's function.

Some of the older models from the 60's and the 70's had pretty poor parts fitment, you kinda had to see one in person to determine if the revolver was any good.

New nipples like the ones from slixshot or the ones made by Track of the Wolf will go a long way to help with reliability too.
 
You can't go wrong with a Remington 1858 clone in 36 or 44 cal, your choice.

The Colt's all have this wedge thing going on and you have to pay attention to fitment; if it's too tight then the cylinder won't turn. It's not a total disaster if you get it wrong, but it's just one more thing to worry about, and it's more parts to lose :)

I'd recommend going with a long barreled version as well. They're harder to draw, but generally the extra weight and sight radius is a good thing. the loading levers are longer too, which helps a lot when you're pushing balls into the cylinder.
 
You can't go wrong with a Remington 1858 clone in 36 or 44 cal, your choice.

The Colt's all have this wedge thing going on and you have to pay attention to fitment; if it's too tight then the cylinder won't turn. It's not a total disaster if you get it wrong, but it's just one more thing to worry about, and it's more parts to lose :)

I'd recommend going with a long barreled version as well. They're harder to draw, but generally the extra weight and sight radius is a good thing. the loading levers are longer too, which helps a lot when you're pushing balls into the cylinder.

Have to agree; I just had a "new to me" Navy Arms Remington 1858 out on the range for the first time and it was as straight forward as it gets.

Tons of fun! Just finished cleaning 'r' up
 
Back
Top Bottom