Best Peep Sight for a Pedersoli 1886

Devlin

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Location
Behind You
I figured this audience might have the best advice amongst the CGN crowd. I have this rifle https://taylorsfirearms.com/1886-sporting-rifle.html and recently installed a Lyman 66WB peep sight on it to get better groups and be able to use it for hunting I took it out today and the Lyman was an improvement over the buckhorn style sight the rifle came with.

The Lyman seems ok but for the price I kind of expected better quality. I'm considering trying something else and have been looking at the Montana Vintage Arms options where from what I can tell you can switch the staff out from a tang style sight to a vernier style to shoot longer range and what not...the Sagebrush Longshots Youtube channel has me pre-occupied with seeing how far out I can push the 45-70. If you haven't seen their videos its a great channel https://www.youtube.com/user/WhitSpurzon/featured

Looking for anyone's advice on what your experience has been.
 
The stock design of an 1886 and the bulk of a big vernier sight aren't really a good combination for comfortable shooting, and I say this owning an 1886 and a sharps with an MVA sight.

I climbing lyman remake might get you close to what you want, while leaving your cheek still touching the stock and not being made from pot metal like the 66 is. http://www.peabodyrifle.com/sights.html You wont have the resolution the vernier sight will give you though. Target 1/4 turn knobs on an older 66 receiver sight will be close to ideal, just wont be pretty.
 
Last edited:
Montana Vintage Arms only sends to US customers, that ITAR curse it has.

Buffalo Arms does send to us and I wanted to order a Marbles peep sight for the Browning 1886 but they are out of stock but you can get notified.
 
Montana Vintage Arms only sends to US customers, that ITAR curse it has.

Buffalo Arms does send to us and I wanted to order a Marbles peep sight for the Browning 1886 but they are out of stock but you can get notified.

I traded emails with Montana Vintage Arms about 10 months ago and they indicated they will ship to Canada via USPS, but perhaps something has changed recently?
 
I traded emails with Montana Vintage Arms about 10 months ago and they indicated they will ship to Canada via USPS, but perhaps something has changed recently?
I might be wrong but their order system only allows US shipping.
 
Lee Shaver makes an economy sight of good quality.

With some of the tang sights, the grip on the stock might be awkward.
It is best to check it out first since your hand could get smacked from the recoil
 
Back
Top Bottom