New to casting and coating.

Well the "learing" curve, just got upended again. Time to cast just stretched again,, as this mold requires a lot more preheating than my other molds. The reason for this, is the small galleries between each cavity. Unless the mold is warmed properly the lead itself will cool and plug the galleries, creating the problem and resulting in the mess you see. I'll be recasting all of this after the post op inspection ,


 
Still working on powder coating some 9mm, 3371 down, appx another 1000 to go.

All of them are gas checked with home made pop can gas checks! Gotta love the BFB machine works one strole gas check maker
 

Attachments

  • 20260831_135244.jpg
    20260831_135244.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Well the "learing" curve, just got upended again. Time to cast just stretched again,, as this mold requires a lot more preheating than my other molds. The reason for this, is the small galleries between each cavity. Unless the mold is warmed properly the lead itself will cool and plug the galleries, creating the problem and resulting in the mess you see. I'll be recasting all of this after the post op inspection ,


adding tin to the pot will help fill the cavities. it brings the alloy melt temp a bit lower and alters the flow and fill characteristics. a couple of pounds in a large pot is usually sufficient. if you live somewhere in Alberta I could probably find a way to get a few pounds to you, I have a bit more than I need.
 
adding tin to the pot will help fill the cavities. it brings the alloy melt temp a bit lower and alters the flow and fill characteristics. a couple of pounds in a large pot is usually sufficient. if you live somewhere in Alberta I could probably find a way to get a few pounds to you, I have a bit more than I need.
tin should roughly run about 3%
 
adding tin to the pot will help fill the cavities. it brings the alloy melt temp a bit lower and alters the flow and fill characteristics. a couple of pounds in a large pot is usually sufficient. if you live somewhere in Alberta I could probably find a way to get a few pounds to you, I have a bit more than I need.
BC I've got some, thank you though!
 
Reloading has been the cheapest and yet most expensive hobby to have. I started with 40 S&W and 233 Rem for my pistol and rifle. I then started adding calibers, and rifles to my collection. well I am retired so I was able to shoot at my will, which added up to a lot. I got most of my reloading gear through my local dealer (RIP SIR), who offered me used deals from his network.
That included a Dillon 550 semi progressive press, wow talk about energy and time saving, so I spent more as i was certainly saving money. Then I slowly became a brass goblin at the range, because I became aware how many other shooters don't reload and threw away 1ce fired brass. Well I found a guy who buys brass cases, so I swapped all the at the what I didn't shoot for stuff I did, now having all that brass empty, would be a waste of resources. So I invested more into reloading bang buttons, pixie dust, freedom seeds, yup saving money.
I started adding calibers so I needed 2 sets of dies, one for the single stage the other for my Dillon. A few friends asked if I could load some ammo for them, no money just use of my gear. So they invested in my addiction, thanks. Then a friend asked if I'd like a super dooper press
and sure, and saved more money by investing, selling my Dillon 550 to get the 1050..... Well it was the case of the overly complicated bong, I soon sold it and got 2 550 Dillons.
Then I had the good luck to have a massive flood in the town I live in, good friends accepted me into their house. In return for good karma, they cursed me by gifting me a near usable antique rifle. All it needed was a simple modern centerfire modification and ammo. well the ammo was a 2 year process to figure out how to make the brass from a slightly less rare case, then find black powder. easy so far eh? Well then came the bullet, I knew it would be a nightmare. I found a half dozen, and found out he cast them himself. Well now I had an entire new skill I needed to perform. So I started casting them after invest.... i mean saving more money. .41 Swiss... then added .303 for Brit and 7.62x39. then 9mm and ooowww powder coated, oh yes another new skill added. then added shotgun reloading more money saved... yea right. new casting molds buckshot and slug. More savings opportunities!
Yes this has been the cheapest most expensive hobby anyone could have, save Formula 1 practitioner
 
Back
Top Bottom