Rimfire prs question?

Bustercluck

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Location
Fort McMurray
What distances and target sizes are being used at your club? What formula do they use for some of the more competitive matches like saprl? I’m guessing most of the shots are between ### and ### with a stage or two at a shorter distance and one or two that push the boundaries of a 22lr?
 
taking a look at the cof for most NRL22 matches and the targets are roughly ranging from .7 to 1.0 mil

lots of runs posted on facecrack
 
Your best resource is to look at the history of NRL22 match books. They list the target size and distance.
Good idea by boxhitch.
I’ve been shooting nrl22 since the spring but we only do the 100 yard version and I think they give a second course of fire for a maximjm of 200 yards. I was wondering how far some of the more competitive matches push things.

Our rimfire range only goes to 165 yards so I’ll have to set something up on the centrefire range and maybe hang a 12” plate at 300 and push things as far as I can.
 
I’ve been shooting nrl22 since the spring but we only do the 100 yard version and I think they give a second course of fire for a maximjm of 200 yards. I was wondering how far some of the more competitive matches push things.

Our rimfire range only goes to 165 yards so I’ll have to set something up on the centrefire range and maybe hang a 12” plate at 300 and push things as far as I can.
You can shoot to 300m. We have a gong at our range that usually the CF shooters hit, but we'll hit it with our 22lr.

Lately the 22lr games have changed. PRS put in a rule that limits targets to 225 yards at their big matches, so that kind of caps the distances we practice and see at the major matches.
 
You can shoot to 300m. We have a gong at our range that usually the CF shooters hit, but we'll hit it with our 22lr.

Lately the 22lr games have changed. PRS put in a rule that limits targets to 225 yards at their big matches, so that kind of caps the distances we practice and see at the major matches.
That’s what I was looking for.

Thanks
 
The right rifle platform, the right optic, the right fundamentals and ammunition you will be able consistently hit a 300 m with a 22. When I started with the 22 I didn’t believe the 300m was a thing. Well I have been to 300m with my cz457 many times now. No wind it’s easy. Add some wind and a whole new game.
Good luck
 
The right rifle platform, the right optic, the right fundamentals and ammunition you will be able consistently hit a 300 m with a 22. When I started with the 22 I didn’t believe the 300m was a thing. Well I have been to 300m with my cz457 many times now. No wind it’s easy. Add some wind and a whole new game.
Good luck
Yes, 100 yards was a "lofty goal", now routine to have a couple 10 shot groups just above and below 1 MOA
 
it varies wherever you go. matches in canada tend to have targets on the larger side, where matches in the US have much smaller average.

in the east, we see targets as follows.

canada:

0.5-1.0 between 100-150
0.5-1.1 between 150-225

usa:

0.3-0.8 between 50-225

usually for practice you should be practicing small, so 0.5" at all distances past 100, and 0.3 inside 100 yards
 
in the east, we see targets as follows.

canada:

0.5-1.0 between 100-150
0.5-1.1 between 150-225

usa:

0.3-0.8 between 50-225

usually for practice you should be practicing small, so 0.5" at all distances past 100, and 0.3 inside 100 yards
Are you saying that in Canada PRS rimfire targets are 0.5 - 1.0" from 100 to 150 yards and 0.5" to 1.1" from 150 to 225 yards?
And that south of the border targets range from 0.3" to 0.8" at ranges from 150 to 225 yards?

Even though there's not always a single standard for target sizes, those sizes seem much too small.

For example, according to the rules for the Precision Rifle Series Rimfire 2026 rules (Section 5.2.6):
"Targets over 200 yards should be no smaller than 3 MOA. (example 200 yards 6”). MD’s should size the targets based on expected wind speed and value."
 
Are you saying that in Canada PRS rimfire targets are 0.5 - 1.0" from 100 to 150 yards and 0.5" to 1.1" from 150 to 225 yards?
And that south of the border targets range from 0.3" to 0.8" at ranges from 150 to 225 yards?

Even though there's not always a single standard for target sizes, those sizes seem much too small.

For example, according to the rules for the Precision Rifle Series Rimfire 2026 rules (Section 5.2.6):
"Targets over 200 yards should be no smaller than 3 MOA. (example 200 yards 6”). MD’s should size the targets based on expected wind speed and value."
I see the confusion, I meant tenths, not inches.

Matches in the US are considerably smaller on average targets though.
 
Back
Top Bottom