Best youth option

For 22 lr I would go with the Henry youth bolt action, just because it's higher quality than the savage, but realistically the savage is ok as well.

If you step up to centerfire, get a Howa youth in a 22ARC, or a 6mm ARC.
 
Not sure how big the kids are but you could try the Ruger American compact. 18".. It comes with two stock modules, one with the higher comb. Then , as they get taller you buy the regular length stock modules and they have a full size stock. I learned on a little Cooey 39 from the age of 8 and it was fine too
 
Shes seen the rascal and held one she hasn't held the other 2 yet. I may have to drive out of town to find them. Im between Windsor and London ontario if anyone knows a shop within a few hours drive that carries the others
 
Designed for the little ones to grow.. and use forever. Nobody else does this to my knowledge and they are pretty good to boot.. Cheers
 
Last edited:
Its been awhile since I had an 8 year old at my house but a rascal might be small.

I have a rascal I bought for my daughter and I also have a 10/22 I dropped in an ar-15 style stock with adjustable buttpad.
I have a fvsr in a mdt chassis and have another fv in a factory stock so the lss is an option. She cant grip the ergo deluxe grip i have on it now but I can swap that out to. Just looking to get her a Xmas present so I got time
 
My 5 year old daughter has been to the range 3 times this summer with her Henry mini bolt in pink muddy girl camo. It sure stands out in the safe lol.

Overall, it's still a bit big for her (she shoots it locked into a BOG deathgrip tripod) but I'm good with it. It will last her for many years to come. The rifle itself is accurate and very well made. I do like the fact it's single shot which allows me to slow it down.
 
I have both the rascal and the mini bolt. Pros and cons to each.
The loading ramp on the rascal is very helpful. The plunger style cocking on the mini bolt allows her to spend some time getting into position before cocking.
Both are well made, neither feels like a toy. The rascal is slim, and super light, whereas the mini bolt has a bit of heft and a flat bottom forend which sits nicely in the rifle rest.
I love both the peep sights on the savage and the firesights on the mini bolt.
My only experience with the cricket is my buddies for his kid. It is very prone to light primer strikes but he isn’t exactly the “clean your rifle” type of guy, so I’m not certain it isn’t operator error.
 
Back
Top Bottom