Magazine capacity?

Odinson

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am trying to get a clear answer on the legality of using a 303 British for Deer hunting. Some folks tell me that I need a 5 round magazine while others say "put ony 5 in the magazine"
Is either one right? Where should I look in Ontario regulations to find the proper, correct answer.
I certainly do not want to run afoul of the law.
Thanks!
 
Bolt action rifle magazines do not have any restrictions. You could slap a 100 round magazine to that enfield and it's still legal. *unless your provincial or territorial hunting regulations/wildlife act explicitly state otherwise.
Semi auto rifle magazines are restricted to 5 rounds for any purpose and have been for a long time now.
I believe rimfire firearms are exempt from the semi auto 5 round limit.
Shotguns definitely have magazine restrictions for hunting and that is canada wide as far as I know.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DGY
Manually operated actions such as a bolt, lever, pump have no capacity limits if it’s a centerfire rifle! (Pump shotguns are on their own)
Think about it, a typical lever action carbine in .44 REM Mag has a 10 round capacity! Heck a typical Winchester or Marlin carbine in 30/30 have a 6 round magazine capacity…… and ghee whiz ain’t nobody pizzing their knickers over them!

Reading comprehension eludes many folks…….
 
This is an often confused issue. There are no magazine restriction for manually operated rifles - federally. There is a 5 round restriction for semi-automatics - federally. This is federal law in the firearms act…or whatever it’s now called. HOWEVER! Provinces may have their own rules as to magazine capacity in their provincial hunting regulations, which only apply when you are hunting. This often gets confused. Much like the plug to 3 rounds in a pump action shotgun.
 
Back
Top Bottom