S&W New Model #3 Target

DEZ

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just received my new beauty and could not resist posting a pic .Got her from a Fellow CGN by way of a part trade . It's a S&W New Model#3 Target
in .32-44Gallery . This Model was designed at the request of Ira Paine ,world
famous target shooter. This one was shipped from the factory on May 4,1893.

P8140001.jpg
 
Last edited:
Dez you said it was nice Holly crap! is that Orignal Nickle! :)

Thats a minty lookin gun!
Ajustable sights man thats gona be fun to shoot and 32 44 the chamber walls must be like 1/4 inch thick!

she can become a hot shootin expolding Gopher gun :D
 
Dez you said it was nice Holly crap! is that Original Nickle! :)

Thats a minty looking gun!
Adjustable sights man thats gona be fun to shoot and 32 44 the chamber walls must be like 1/4 inch thick!

she can become a hot shootin exploding Gopher gun :D

Yes it's original nickle the only part I have a suspicion about is the trigger guard as it doesn't quite match the rest . To answer David it uses a .321 nearly full wad cutter that is seated flush with the case mouth.case size and length is about the same as 32-20
 
Man thats a Gopher poper eh! flat shooten fast round :) Pop Pop Pop :evil:

I meen Gopher Targets of course ;)

I love them extended trigger gards as they help hold the guns steady i like that style.
its a beauty Dez!

dam you! now i want one! :D
 
Mold on order dies coming brass 32-20 slightly shortened and expanded I did shoot it with some 32 cal buck shot and it wasn't to bad but will give a Proper range report when every thing gets here.I'm getting the mold from old west bullet molds. As he used to own a 32-44 and has the propper mold .
 
Sorry for the hijack...

I thought that 32-44's were verbotten??!!

No 38 44s are verbotten .

You can have your holsters and gun belts full of 32 44 Caliber guns and ammo.

Id like to know more about the 32 44 sounds like a varmint round to me! :D
 
This is where not having a cartridges of the world book really sucks. Sounds like it is loaded like the 38 loads with wad cutters seated flush with the case mouth.
Just a thought but because you are dealing with trying to get the combination of bullet and brass to conform to the cylinder throat try a few 25-20 cases with expanded necks as well maye the thinner brass will let you load a larger diameter bullet?
Do you know the measurements of the bore, cylinder throat and barrel throat? I am just curious because there looks like there was a lot of thought put into making that an accurate gun!
 
Last edited:
Cylinder throat .323 bore .321-.322 bullet mold and sizing die .323 also I noticed RCBS makes a form die for 32-44 and your supposed to use 25-20 brass but I think 32-20 will work well as you only need to shorten it a small amount so shouldn't be into the thicker brass the fella I'm getting the mold from used 32-20 and said it worked well but Ihave a 25-20 so I've got brass there to try as well .ps cartridges of the world gives not much on this case they list it with 32 smith and Wesson long and the cartridges are completely different
 
Last edited:
Sorry for the hijack...

I thought that 32-44's were verbotten??!!

If this gun wasn't an antique it would be a prohib. because it's 32 but it is antique and 32-44 gallery is not on the list you can't have. This one has been de-regitered as antique . just like the short barreled webleys mkI etc. if they weren't antique they would be prohibs. because of barrel length but antique status does away withall that
 
Well it took me awhile but i got one :D
Cool caliber and mine was Cheep but needs TLC
I will have to check and see what 32 20 cases i got kicking around.
Dez your gun is so nice this thread needs a Bump.

How has it worked out for you ? you have had it awhile now.
 
You just had to bring the beauty back didn't ya-couldn't start another post-nooo- just rub it that DEZ has such a lovely specimen!!!! :)

DEZ....
shot her much? Need a report/review!

Later.........
 
Well it is a fantastic little gun to shoot I was using a light load of trail boss I would have to look up the exact weight I used trail boss to help take up some of the space as the 32-20 case is large for the velocity that the #3 can take anything close to a 32-20 load would probably finish off the gun.. No recoil a little bit pathetic but very accurate . But I'm sure Dingus will have his up to 32Magnum velocity soon LOL !I use 32-20 brass works perfect shortened a few thou. excellent gun for pest control. If it stays warm over the X-mas break I will take some pics and do up a range report it will give me some motivation to get loading.
 
Well it is a fantastic little gun to shoot I was using a light load of trail boss I would have to look up the exact weight I used trail boss to help take up some of the space as the 32-20 case is large for the velocity that the #3 can take anything close to a 32-20 load would probably finish off the gun.. No recoil a little bit pathetic but very accurate . But I'm sure Dingus will have his up to 32Magnum velocity soon LOL !I use 32-20 brass works perfect shortened a few thou. excellent gun for pest control. If it stays warm over the X-mas break I will take some pics and do up a range report it will give me some motivation to get loading.

What only 32 Magnum velocity :D :p

My gun looks abit loose compared to yours so my guess is they were already shooting hot loads in it. hard to tell from the crappy pics tho.
Once i get the gun i will know more.
It would be great if you could do some range reporting (if it warms up that is)
I was always intrested in this Caliber but had to wait to get a gun frist.
 
Back
Top Bottom