Remington OR Winchester that is the Question

winnipegger

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
So i recently picked up a mini 14 (my first rifle) and will be reloading shortly
but i plan to make some factory into once fired's for myself :p :50cal:
anyway my local WSS has 55gr Winchester FMJ's and 55gr Remington 55gr fmj
for about the same price.

Is either of the brass stronger or better in any way then the other?

(right now i've been buying winchester because it has a cooler box ahahha)
 
I have found that the Winchester is easier to resize after firing. But did not find either one to be better than the other for reloading. To make the brass last longer, do not load to max pressures.

i prefer IVI brass and have reloaded some up to 5 times with no pressure marks.
 
I have used both in mini's and must say I couldn't see much difference. My handload in once fired brass that has been my most consistent and accurate load in about six different mini's is 27grains of W748 with a Remington 55 grain soft point sparked up with CCI 450 mag primer. I use a slight crimp on the cannelure. Please work up carefully, but it always shoots well in my mini's. Good luck.
 
The Winchester brass seems harder at the base, as I don't see ejector marks that I do on my Remington brass reloads. Both brass seem to weigh within 1 grain of each other after trimming. Neither one seems to shoot particularly well out of my gun until its been reloaded, but that's just because of the twist rate bullet weight issue. The 55gr seems to be at best a cheap source of brass. Maybe buy a box of each and see which one gives you the best accuracy from the factory?
 
Howdy

My local OPP make a heap of once fired brass. They shoot Remington and Winchester, fmj and softpoints. I know they use both types in softpoints and fmj because when they clear their rifles they don't pick up the live rounds they eject on the ground.

Anyway, after cleaning both types of empties, the only difference is Remington brass will shine up faster then Winchester. The other thing that I'm seeing for the first time this year, and it ticks me off, is that it looks like Winchester is starting to crimp their primers.

Sticker
 
Back
Top Bottom