7.62X39 softpoint in Calgary

nealio

Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
AB
Does anyone know of anyone in calgary or area who has 7.62X39 softpoint ammo? Wholesale says they arent getting anymore, basspro has none, proline was sold out last I looked...any ideas?
 
Crappy tire in Red deer

On th south hill has lotsa prvi. Phone first jsut to make sure. they guy that runs the hunting desk is great, he will even special order whatever you want if he can get it. he got a shatload of 30 carbine for a buddy of mine for an unbeatable price. he gets my buisness everytime now.:dancingbanana:
 
Taugul, yes i think this person is looking for soft point ammo for hunting purposes.... much better projectile than BALL for hunting
 
Do you think that you are able to humanely drop a deer with an SKS?

SKS (7.62x39) is about the same as a .30-30. So yes it can humanely kill deer so long as you don't shoot at it when its 300 yards out. I don't shoot at anything much over 150 yards. That's if I can even spot something in this damn swampland from that far away.

If you have the info it's easier to do it right. ... Don't take long shots on deer with a 7.62.

As to the original post.

I bought some Sellier Bellot softpoints the other day at the shooting range out here. 17 bucks a box. If your going to get someone to order some in it might be another option. They have a good website too if you want to check that out.

123gr. 2400 fps at muzzle ... it's just the energy suffers alot as you get further out.
 
Last edited:
SKS (7.62x39) is about the same as a .30-30.
Not for any 30-30 vs 7.62x39 load that I know of. x39 is much weaker.

7.62x39
123 gr (8.0 g) Spitzer 710 m/s (2,300 ft/s) 1,480 ft lbs

30-30
150 g 2,390 fps 1,902 ft. lbs.
170 gr 2,200 fps 1,827 ft. lbs.

I don't shoot at anything much over 150 yards. That's if I can even spot something in this damn swampland from that far away.

If you can do it, awesome. It can be done, and would take skill to do right. All I am saying is to practice lots.
 
If you can do it, awesome. It can be done, and would take skill to do right. All I am saying is to practice lots.

I'm patient I guess... and wait t-il I have a 90% chance at the shot I want. If it's not available, I don't shoot. A virtue some don't have I guess.

Anywho. I know what you mean and IMO it's the proper way to go about things. Do it right or don't do it at all. and as for practice, well practice t'il you know you can shoot straight ... surplus ammo is real cheap lol. And read, learn etc. t-il you know how to kill an animal quick with the caliber/gun your using (lotsa factors to take into account)
 
Last edited:
I know they can be, but that is not my question. All that I am saying is if you are going to use something like this for deer, please put the time into ensuring it is done right.

You obviously only shoot deer at under 100 yards with a 300 ultra mag, 338 lapua for 100-200, 50 bmg for 200+, right?
 
Nope. 308, and bow. Coyote, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, whatever I have tags for.

The post reminded me of several years back when my hunting buddy wanted to hunt with his SKS. He had shot about 5 crates of surplus through it the previous year, and knew it well. We decided to buy some winchester, and igman softpoints to test it out.

When we got it sighted, and began to put them into wet newsprint, phonebooks, and pumpkins, we quickly came to the conclusion that it would not be something that we would want to use outside of archery range. That in spite of knowing that vital sized targets could be hit much further out. The soft points just simply were not opening.

Each hunter has to make their own decisions though.
 
Back
Top Bottom