Anyone know if this ammo is safe?

simar

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Location
Ontario
I have 7.62 x 51 surplus with the head stamp of CBC 75 7.62 that i picked up not too long ago. While I was researching the headstamp, i came across a claim that this ammo was unsafe and was loaded to a very high pressure.
 
Found this for you...


Companhia Brasileria de Cartuchos, CBC, says its 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from lots dated 1975 pose serious safety risks because of excessive pressures. The cartridges, headstamped "CBC 7.62 75", should not be used, given away or sold under any circumstances. There have been reports of rifles bursting as a result of the excessive pressure. An independent testing lab detected peak pressures in excess of 130,000 CUP, in one of 20 of the cartridges it tested. CBC calls these rounds outdated.

The particular round was manufactured solely for military use in several countries. They are not intended for civilian use at all.

CBC also has issued a warning for any of its 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from any year which have a label on the packing material with the Spanish word "reengastada." The label was not affixed by the manufacturer and its application to ammunition is unclear.

If you have any ammunition with the 1975 headstamp or with the Spanish word, contact CBC at 800-742-1094.

– Originally published by the author, un-bylined, in the 1 June 1992 Firearms Business.
 
I saw that post on a site and wondered if it was legitimate.... The bullets are crimped, doubt i will be pulling them anytime soon. Also that number doesn't work from my land line, guess I will have to try it the next time I am in the states.
 
Buy a bullet puller,
I bought 100 rounds of OFV 98 7.62x51 from a guy on the EE a few weeks ago, I only researched it after I got home to see nobody had anything good to say about it. Apparently rejected by the Indian army and made it way here anyway. And i can tell why, it looks like absolute trash, there's grit in all the crimps. Im going to pull the bullets and tumble them and then reload everything properly.
 
International Firearms imported a bunch of that 75 dated stuff. They also bore a label printed "REFORMADO". In english "reformed" or reloads.
A friend of mine bought a couple of cases and we shared the ammo. After shooting a couple of boxes, without incident, his rifle KABOOMED. He ended up going to the hospital to have a piece of brass removed from his eye.
I still have a couple of the cartridges. The bullets are pulled and the primers are intact, the powder was disposed of. The powder had turned a rusty brown color and had a very acidic smell.
International Firearms was extremely good with us and took care of all of the costs. They replaced the rifle, modified mauser with heavy barrel and all of the ammunition with some brand new manufactured IVI. They also followed up on other sales and replaced as much as they could find. I guess they were just happy to avoid law suits.

I don't think very much of it got out to the public in Canada. From the sounds of things there was trouble almost immediately.

If you have any of this stuff, pull the bullets and reload it with different powder, it will be fine then. Another problem it had was that it the bullet bases were heavily coated with a black sealant that make pulling the bullets a real chore.
 
I remember seeing the warnings posted in ShotGun News,and at gunshows in the US in the mid '90s.
It blew up a few guns before the word got out.

The article quoted above mentions 130,000 CUP. That is a LOT! Most rounds are about 52,000 CUP, so that is well over double.
 
762x51

I have some that say CBC and the year is 77 . I hope it;s alright . I have shot some years ago and it did;nt seem too hot . I bought it from a buddy many years ago . if it;s screwed I;ll have a talk with him .
 
Just an update for everyone, I called the vendor that sold me the ammo and they said its safe and they had sold lots of it in the past.
 
Just an update for everyone, I called the vendor that sold me the ammo and they said its safe and they had sold lots of it in the past.

So, in the face of numerous warnings you chose to believe the dealer who sold you the 34 year old surplus ammo?\

I sincerely hope we never have to say "I told you so".
 
You believe the guy making money over the maker and many uninvolved individuals?

Good luck with your kaboom waiting to happen.
 
Back
Top Bottom