9x10mm??

Colin

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I was sitting on the can and thinking, (the best place to think, I think!!) I know people make 9x40 as an alternative to 357Sig. Has anyone tried 9x10mm?

I wonder if the longer case would allow for a better neck crimp, resolve the main issue with 357Sig which is bullet setback. I also think you would be able to come up with some interesting ballistics and a very effective round. Thoughts?
 
It's called the 9x25, and it is a solution to a non-existant problem.

Origionally designed to launch 88gr bullets at warp speed, shooters quickly realized that the bullets wouldn't stabilize. Instead, most used 108-115gr bullets. Hodgdons sold a powder just slightly faster than H-110, H-108 for use in the fat case. Comps became longer, and had to be beefed up internally to withstand the violent pressures and gas volume. Some gunsmiths built and fitted two comps per barrel, as the life expectancy of a 9x25 comp was assumed to be short.

The gun's bark was so nasty, RO's and scorekeepers were double plugging, and using the clip board as a blast shield.

When the PF was 175, they made some sense. At 160, they make no sense at all.
 
9X25 is fun to #### around with. You get .30 carbine energy and velocities out of a 6"bbl. Quite a nasty round but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag. Running a 9x25 at max would beat the s**t out of any pistol pretty quick. Most guys who use it outside experimentation are not using it anywhere near it's potential. IMO it makes a better rifle round.
 
Last edited:
Thanks I will read up on it, I would have thought that 124/147gr would the best weight.

Guys were looking to flatten out the trajectory at the same time as reducing split times.

A funny but unprovable anecdote; the powder was slow burning enough that some claimed unburnt powder would collect in the last comp port and occationally flash off.
 
Back
Top Bottom