762x39 factory code 14

El Cid

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I found some very nice x39 ammo. The headstamp is 14 over 91.

Anybody know where this stuff is from?:confused:

I can't find factory 14 listed anywhere...
 
They are black lacquered steel cases, are they?

If so, it's the Chinese factory 14, unknown site, wich also made tracer (green) ammo (91 too). If they are not tracers, they might be soft steel cores.

If it's brass cases, it can be PPU-made, they are known to be using the 14 + year code, but I never saw any 7.62X39 made by factory 14 (PPU).
 
Last edited:
Actually no, they are very nice brass cases with a cannelured fmj projectile. Although I have not pulled one, the magnet test tells me that they are lead core. The primers are sealed with a green substance.
 
My guess would be PPU (Prvi Partizan Urice), then. They are one of the very few to use lead cores for military 7.62X39.

Can you post pics of the heastamp and whole ammo?
 
I pulled one apart and it is a 123.5 grain bullet over 23.3 grains of the smallest grained powder I have seen. As I expected, the cases are berdan primed.

Some pics....

Headstamp...
stamp.jpg


Case...
case.jpg


Base...
base.jpg


Powder...
powder.jpg


Any ideas who made it?:confused:
 
South African. Imported by Bell a few years ago. That primer seal and beautiful Somchem ball powder gives it away.
 
Last edited:
The powder is very unique, it is absolutely tiny and it pours like water, meaning impossible to make a pile...it just spreads out. Quite odd.
 
Back
Top Bottom